68 Barracuda bumpers-- rechrome?

-

68340fish

Reaction score
Looking for someone to rechrome my bumpers at a reasonable cost. Got an estimate today from Pauls chrome here in Pa and almost fell off my chair, $650.00 EACH!! OUCH!! Called Restoration Chrome in Spokane, Washington & they said it would be $314.00 each. Has anyone had anything done by them, or heard anything about them? Thanks.

Hi check out nuchrome.com.I see quotes on our small bumpers for 250 each.I havnt used these guys but thier site is cool and shows you the process they go thru to restore chrome.I plan on useing them myself if I cant find someone local.Shipping will be extra and probably costly so 600+ might not end up being to bad...Good luck,Dan

Hi Guys - I'm interested in bumpers, too. Have 7 cores to trade in on new ones. Tri-city Plating comes very recommended. They quoted me a price of $295/exchange and $350 outright (plus shipping). Told me they'd give me $35.00 for each usable core. I think I'm gonna wait till Carlisle (PA) next year and just go buy them there.

How about headlight surrounds / grilles? Anybody have a restorer that doesn't want an arm and leg to re-do the units to a good quality DRIVER condition? The last quote I got was $2400.00 and that was only a ball-park figure! It's no wonder why folks stay away from these cars (but we just couldn't resist :)
Anyway, if you have any info/advice/WHATEVER, drop me a line. I'll do so, also.

Dennis

Hi Guys - I'm interested in bumpers, too. Have 7 cores to trade in on new ones. Tri-city Plating comes very recommended. They quoted me a price of $295/exchange and $350 outright (plus shipping). Told me they'd give me $35.00 for each usable core. I think I'm gonna wait till Carlisle (PA) next year and just go buy them there.

How about headlight surrounds / grilles? Anybody have a restorer that doesn't want an arm and leg to re-do the units to a good quality DRIVER condition? The last quote I got was $2400.00 and that was only a ball-park figure! It's no wonder why folks stay away from these cars (but we just couldn't resist :)
Anyway, if you have any info/advice/WHATEVER, drop me a line. I'll do so, also.

Dennis

I have used Tri-City Plating before and I highly recommend them. I got a price from them to do the bumpers on my cuda and it is exactly what they quoted you.

I have used Tri-City Plating before and I highly recommend them. I got a price from them to do the bumpers on my cuda and it is exactly what they quoted you.

Same here. I just had both my bumpers done and it cost me about $650 w/ shipping. And they look BITCHIN!!!!!!! :thumbup:

http://www.tricityplating.com/

As for the grill surrounds, let me get back on this. I have a lead on a gentleman in Pa. that does a small number of sets over the winter months as a hobby and he's VERY reasonable from what I've been told. I'll be calling him soon to see if I can get in on this seasons go-around.

Same here. I just had both my bumpers done and it cost me about $650 w/ shipping. And they look BITCHIN!!!!!!! :thumbup:

http://www.tricityplating.com/

As for the grill surrounds, let me get back on this. I have a lead on a gentleman in Pa. that does a small number of sets over the winter months as a hobby and he's VERY reasonable from what I've been told. I'll be calling him soon to see if I can get in on this seasons go-around.

Good deal!

You might know this already. Instead of using the old type bumper bolt with the cap on top I use stainless steel carriage bolts. The ones with no writing on top of the head. I start off with 400 grit sand paper and work myself up until around 1500. I think I went about three stages of different grit sand paper last time. Then I bought a metal buffing wheel and put it my drill and clamped it in a vice. I buffed them with Wenol until they start shining. It's a lot of work but they shine ten times better than the old type. I watched TV and sanded them. Get one or two extra bolts until you get the sand paper grit stages the way they work the best. I can't remember which girt I used in the middle.

UPDATE!! I decided to use Restoration Chrome in Spokane, Washington. Sent my cores on 9/25/07 from Pennsylvania. Just received rechromed bumpers today 11/2/07. Cost was $684.00 for both, shipping included. They turned out "Absolutely Flawless". Show Quality!! :cheers:

Good deal!

You might know this already. Instead of using the old type bumper bolt with the cap on top I use stainless steel carriage bolts. The ones with no writing on top of the head. I start off with 400 grit sand paper and work myself up until around 1500. I think I went about three stages of different grit sand paper last time. Then I bought a metal buffing wheel and put it my drill and clamped it in a vice. I buffed them with Wenol until they start shining. It's a lot of work but they shine ten times better than the old type. I watched TV and sanded them. Get one or two extra bolts until you get the sand paper grit stages the way they work the best. I can't remember which girt I used in the middle.

Sounds like a cool idea but way too much work for me. By the time mine need to be replaced (which was done a few years ago), I probably won't even be around to worry about it. ;-)

I had my bumpers done by "Bumper Boyzs", twice; wouldn't suggest anyone using them. Lousy customer service and quality.:violent2:

Tri-City only does bumpers, I had another plating company recommend them saying they do nice work for the money.

Wow,that`s not something you hear everyday! That bad ,huh? I`ve heard all good things about Tri-City Plating in Tenn..

I heard so-so feedback on Bumper Boyz too. Tri-City did fine by me!
Barracuda472-vi.jpg

Very Nice!

Mine are at Tri-city waiting to be rechromed. They said it will be about ten weeks before they are ready.

Take a deeep breath: I waited almost 14 weeks.... but it was the spring. But they do a nice job.... :love10:

-
Back