68 Barracuda dash pads, which paint

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm going to buy a new upper Black upper dash pad but I need to paint or Dye what ever is the proper term, the two lower dash pads. I have two sets and they are all tan/brown. Which brand have you used and recommend?

I just did mine with duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint. It was black before but needed a refresh. I tried a little bit to see how the colors matched and you really couldn't tell a color difference. Now my bottom dash pad looks brand new

Attachments

• image-2433576511.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 272
I just did mine with duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint. It was black before but needed a refresh. I tried a little bit to see how the colors matched and you really couldn't tell a color difference. Now my bottom dash pad looks brand new

Do you have the part number of the black you used?

Doing a search, I see SEM has a few different blacks? Have any experience with a certain shade?

I re-did my Stingray in Landau black.....

Crappy pictures....that was a TON of work.....but most all of the plastic was re-done in SEM Landau Black....

Well my problem is I'm buying the top pad new and need to match the black with paint on the lower two. I guess I can ask the people I buy the top one from. Thanks for the replies.

You could always buy a can. Put a little on the bottom let it dry, if it matches the top go for it, if not you could put a light coat of die on the top as well

You could always buy a can. Put a little on the bottom let it dry, if it matches the top go for it, if not you could put a light coat of die on the top as well

Agreed you will have better luck dying all the pieces the same verses trying to match.

I wonder why they sell new top pads and not the bottom two? Mine has cigarette burns on it and I would like to replace it too.

I always use SEM too. The trick is in the prep. Cleanit, clean it, clean it... make sure it is absolutely clean, then spray. Vinyl seems to love to hang on to tiny bits of grease,oil, silicone, car wax etc. that you can't see until you try to paint it

nobody mentioned adhesion promoter.
lets hear how you don't need it ??

I always use SEM too. The trick is in the prep. Cleanit, clean it, clean it... make sure it is absolutely clean, then spray. Vinyl seems to love to hang on to tiny bits of grease,oil, silicone, car wax etc. that you can't see until you try to paint it
What do you use or suggest to clean the two lower pads before I spray paint them? Thanks for your help on this as well as everyone else.

Well I took grimreapers advice and cleaned the hell out of them with Simple Green and Purple Power, several times. I decided to buy the VHT satin black vinyl spray paint. They turned out really well. Now I hope they match the Classic Industries new top pad that I ordered. I'll know in a few days when it gets here. And just FYI, You only need to buy one can, I bought two but after following the instructions, two light coats with 10 minutes in between coats, and a final medium wet coat after another 10 minutes, I still had enough to do the top pad if I needed to. Thanks for everyone's help.

I got the new Classic Industries top pad (black)in a few days ago and for those interested, the VHT satin black vinyl paint matched perfect! In case your interested.

-
Back