68 Barracuda Fastback -best fitting roll bar?

-

WB DODGE MM

Reaction score
I have a 68 Barracuda that I have tied up all the unibody/floors and tubbed the rear wheel wells. I'm installing a RMS front suspension, 6.4 Hemi, Tremec 6 speed trans, Cal-tracs and a shortened Dana rear axle.
I'm Looking for any recommendations for fit and quality to put a 6 point roll bar assembly with removable front bars in my car.
As with anything it always seems the rule is to pay a little more up front for less headaches at the end. LOL
Thanks ahead of time for any help!

My suggestion would be to find a race car fabrication shop & have it built to the specs you wish. A generic kit will probably not work out as you want.

My suggestion would be to find a race car fabrication shop & have it built to the specs you wish. A generic kit will probably not work out as you want.

I used a generic (so called) kit , 4 point ,they come oversized for custom fitting , most will fit anything. I bought two extra straight pieces and bent them in a big electricians bender to custom fit the side bars the way I wanted them , then put a removeable set up on the drivers side .
Only pic I have --------
IMG_0290 (3).JPG

I build roll cages for a living.

Non of the kits fit good, (at least to my standard) they always need to be cut, rebent ect.

If you want nice, have it built.
If you want eh, its Ok, use a kit.

I don't charge much more to build from scratch vs install a kit.

From scratch, i can make it fit like stockings on a stripper, with the kit you get what you get...... and thats after i re work the kit...

Thats my .02

And dont worry, im very far from you so this is not me trying to sell a job. This is my professionall opinion.

I build roll cages for a living.

Non of the kits fit good, (at least to my standard) they always need to be cut, rebent ect.

If you want nice, have it built.
If you want eh, its Ok, use a kit.

I don't charge much more to build from scratch vs install a kit.

From scratch, i can make it fit like stockings on a stripper, with the kit you get what you get...... and thats after i re work the kit...

Thats my .02

And dont worry, im very far from you so this is not me trying to sell a job. This is my professionall opinion.

Mine fit the way I wanted it , have had a broken neck , and wanted it close up against the head liner and clearing my head w/o a helmit for street duty . I bent side bars to custom fit and not mess w/ my elbows while cruising, just barely touch the new door panels , exactly .
Like I said it was oversized every where , for custom fitting -no big deal ------

Last edited:
Im sure it fits good. "Good" is relative tho.

If his car is really tubbed and not mini tubbed it will require more that a 6 point cage. If he has the power to use a 32x18 or some such tire and use it well, i would not consider it safe with out a front to back cage.

He should be looking at a minimum.

Main hoop.
Twin cross braces
Shoulder bar
Rear down bars
Front hoop
Halo
Halo cross brace
Door bars
Dash bar
Front J bars

Now that we are this deep lets go ahead and throw in the lower door bars and some seat mounts. Why not have you be attached to the cage vs attached to the sheet metal.

Is it cheep?
No

Can I build it to accommodate any special or specific needs you or your passenger has?
Yes.

Will it be built EXACTLY the way you want it.
Yes.

Or buy a kit and heck, let that guy down the way who works on heavy equipment weld it in. He just picked up that new HF welder and some fancy flux core wire he's inching to try out.

Whats listed above is basically a 9.50 cage. I would think a car rolling on a tire like that will be quicker than 9.50 in the 1/4?

Last edited:
Im sure it fits good. "Good" is relative tho.
Hi Cope - I've been considering putting a 'back half' roll bar and have been looking at pictures. The cars I've seen have the main loop welded to a plate on the rear floor, which is not much more than sheet metal. I would have thought the loop would be sturdier of mounted over the area where the front spring perches mount - especially if that area is boxed in. Why are the hoops not attached there? What am I misunderstanding?

Hi Cope - I've been considering putting a 'back half' roll bar and have been looking at pictures. The cars I've seen have the main loop welded to a plate on the rear floor, which is not much more than sheet metal. I would have thought the loop would be sturdier of mounted over the area where the front spring perches mount - especially if that area is boxed in. Why are the hoops not attached there? What am I misunderstanding?

You are not misunderstanding and you kinda are.

On a mopar there is nothing to tie into.

Two options.

One.
You plate the floor..... yeah. Not super safe.

Two you build frame connectors and "out riggers" then land your cage work on that.

You want triangles and straight lines.

Id be happy to walk you through it if you plan on building it.

Cages are just about my favorite thing to make.

Its funny.

I look back at all the cars I built and I am imbaresed at my work.

The truth is we all need to start somewhere and we should all look back at our old work and cringe.

Thats how we know we have improved.

Get that shitty welder and start burning wire.

You will not regret it.

Last edited:
-
Back