'68 Barracuda Fastback Trunk Alignment

-

goldmine

Reaction score
I have a question about aligning the trunk lid on my '68 Barracuda fastback. I understand the up/down and forward/back adjustment. I can't figure out how to adjust the side to side (left to right). Does anyone have some tips on this? Thanks!!

On a hood, you just lean on the hinges. Is there a reason that wouldn't work?

Latch posistion has some bearing as well!

I had some luck with 1-2 washers behind hinge brackets as well. A little seemed to have quite an effect.

Thanks for the response. Are you talking about washers between the trunk lid and hinge or the actual hinge bracket and the frame it mounts to?

Mine went behind the pivot/spring/hinge bracket jand frame above the wheel well. (7 FB) I did the gas strut to get rid of the spring. Not sure if that has any bearing on our alignments or not. This car had a quarter put on it at one time. I have re-shaped the forward curve/corners to be able to get good (not excellent) body lines and for trunk/tail light trim to be somewhat close. The lateral deck lids trunk lines are closer than I want but I am unwilling to re-shape.

I'll give that a try this weekend. From what I can tell it still has the original quarters on the car. The heavy factory undercoating is still on them all the way through to the window area. I'm assuming if you buy quarters the undercoating is not on them. Interesting move with the gas struts. Any reason you went that route?

Are you sure the hinge mounts are free from debris, how was the alignment when you got it. Have you done anything to change it?

I'll give that a try this weekend. From what I can tell it still has the original quarters on the car. The heavy factory undercoating is still on them all the way through to the window area. I'm assuming if you buy quarters the undercoating is not on them. Interesting move with the gas struts. Any reason you went that route?
I found the original spring to make the hood brackets bend... so i did the strut swap on them. .. then i thought the action was so smooth. .....i did the same on trunk lid.

The alignment has been off since I've owned the car. All the body and paint work was done when I purchased it. I'm not sure why it wasn't addressed before the paint went on. The other gaps...doors and hood are very nice. Maybe since there isn't a side to side adjustment they didn't know what to do with it either. Lets face it, these cars were far from perfect when they left the assembly line. There is no debris at all between the hinge mounts and frame. The body and paint work is a solid 8 out of 10.

How off is it?

Like said the latch determines closed position. Just lowering it down and looking gets it close but unless latched with the correct weather strip in place it can be hard to tell.

-
Back