68 Barracuda FB glass pinchweld modification idea.

-

rednesss

Reaction score
I hate the fact that a good deal of water ends up with no place to go on the lower right and left of the fastback glass area. When I took my car apart I could tell that the gasket had leaked and let in water and I had rust on the inside. I thought about drilling a hole on either side at the low point and using 5/16 or 3/8ish tubing to braze to the hole and bend it up so that it dumps out the bottom of the quarter on either side much like you'd see in cars with sunroofs. Other than it plugging up and needing blown out from time to time, anyone see a problem with doing something like this???

I have thought of this too. A small aluminum or steel sleeve, that would allow a drain tube, that could either be welded or brazed into place, would be perfect. I am repairing rust on a challenger that could have been avoided if factory had done SOMETHING to help the water drain off.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I didnt notice that problem until after my car came back from paint and I washed it for the first time. Im just going to use black sealer to fill in the gap between the rubber and teh stainless trim and hopefully keep water from entering ...

Instead of installing drain tubes, could a "rust-proof" finish to the metal underneath be more feasible? I ran into the same rust problem in the lower back window channel with my '68 GTX. I "repaired" it in 1981, but the rust is re-emerging, so after the Cuda is done, I will be tackling the GTX again. This time, however, after metal work is done, I want to find some type of finish impervious to rust, such as OS-PHO, to pre-treat the metal before painting. Man, sometimes I wish these things were made of stainless (just kidding).

Instead of installing drain tubes, could a "rust-proof" finish to the metal underneath be more feasible? I ran into the same rust problem in the lower back window channel with my '68 GTX. I "repaired" it in 1981, but the rust is re-emerging, so after the Cuda is done, I will be tackling the GTX again. This time, however, after metal work is done, I want to find some type of finish impervious to rust, such as OS-PHO, to pre-treat the metal before painting. Man, sometimes I wish these things were made of stainless (just kidding).

I like the idea but it does not solve the root of the problem, which is the recess area under the trim of the glass, that holds moisture. He wants to drill a small hole and have the water, that runs down the window, and along the channel, to drain off almost completely, as opposed to puddling in the lower corners of the window.

And where water puddles, dirt accumulates. Moist dirt and leaves/debris is a good breeding ground for rust. Plus it just pi$$es me off to see all that water just sit there and not drain.

-
Back