68 Barracuda Formula S proportioning valve

-

My68FormulaS

Reaction score
How do the proportioning valves work on Gen 2 A-Bodies work? My 68 has a proportioning valve on the inner fender well, but after researching this a little, it looks aftermarket. Does anyone have pictures of a Gen 2 Barracuda with the location of the proportioning valve? How are they adjusted?

Thanks
Glenn

Attachments

• Proportioning valve.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 303
I can take a pic of mine when I get home and post. Guaranteed to be in the factory location.

Best I could get in a dark garage. Pics are from my 68 Formula S and unrestored original.
Valve is mounted in same location on both cars.
Hope they help.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 258
This one shows the proportioning valve from the bottom of my Formula S. The proportioning valve is approx. half way between the torsion bar mount and the brake system indicator switch (distribution block). Should be a mounting hole in the frame for a self threading bolt to mount the valve.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 239
To be clear, the picture you show in the start of the thread is the distribution valve, not the proportioning valve. Drum brakes in 68 did not have a proportioning valve, only a distribution valve. The proportioning valve was used on disc brake cars only.

According to the 68 parts catalog, both drum and disc brake cars used the same distribution valve.

Here is the correct set-up. The main unit is just the safety switch and the rear hold off (prop) valve can be seen towards the rear after the short line. 383 cars had the stainless heat shield as well.

To be clear, the picture you show in the start of the thread is the distribution valve, not the proportioning valve. Drum brakes in 68 did not have a proportioning valve, only a distribution valve. The proportioning valve was used on disc brake cars only.

According to the 68 parts catalog, both drum and disc brake cars used the same distribution valve.

So, is that distribution valve correct? I don't have the build sheet for my car, but most everything else appears to be stock. I have looked at other 340 engine compartments, and I didn't see that valve. Any ideas?

Thanks Glenn

Here is the correct set-up. The main unit is just the safety switch and the rear hold off (prop) valve can be seen towards the rear after the short line. 383 cars had the stainless heat shield as well.

Where did you get the heat shield? I never knew anything about them.

Thanks,
Craig

Where did you get the heat shield? I never knew anything about them.

Thanks,
Craig

Accurate exhaust has them and believe they make them. Tom Swope can answer that.

Year one sells them as well.

Gerald, I looked at my car and it does have the shield on it. I guess that I never paid attention to it.

Thanks,
Craig

-
Back