68 Barracuda front to rear brake line route

-

I8NEMO

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Guys, I've got all new ss brake lines done except for the front to rear tube. The new lines come bent in half sometimes to reduce shipping box length so there's that and my fuzzy memory from 7 years ago when I tore the car down that have me unsure how this line routes. Ive searched this Forum for a diagram first with no luck. From the front I think I remember the tube going through a floor pan cross member hole on the interior side of the front " frame rail" heading. Further back I can see clips outside of the frame rail heading (closer to rocker) but no obvious tube bends in the line for a cross over. I do vaguely remember doing a little oh **** about this routing when I welded in frame connectors years ago. I found this diagram on Inline its '66 looking for more details before I bend or unbend a bend incorrectly. Any pics would be awesome

Screenshot_20220324-030644_Google.jpg

My '69 Dart and '72 Dart start out at the distribution block, if you are original, you may have a second distribution block about 12" down stream of the main distribution block. The line then goes through the cross member (trans) then hugs the inside of the rocker panel back to the front of the leaf springs then there is a joggle to the frame rail up and back then makes a 90° turn to its holder where a flex line then goes to the axle housing.
Are you trying to make this or do you have the whole line from inline tube or some other source?
Here's a picture of the old line from my '72.
If you used usct frame connectors, you will have a problem with the crossover after it goes through the trans crossmember. Same issue on the other side of the car with the fuel line.

20220324_121624.jpg

From the rear...
Once you get past the wheel well, they hug the inner rocker until they get to the seat reinforcement bracket. They make a 90 degree turn at the seat reinforcement bracket and then another 90 right after the bracket so the line is running towards the front again.

As Cruze said-If you used usct frame connectors (Like I did) and forgot to put the brake lines in first (DOH!), You might want to just bite the bullet and get a new line fabbed that just hugs the inside of the new rails all the way back. Or forget the Stainless, and form your own from steel.
I could kick myself sometimes.

I saw that that was going to be an issue when I was looking at buying frame connectors. That's why I made my own out of 1x2 rectangular tubing and ran them into the frame at both ends. I installed my new lines a couple weeks ago and they went right in.

My '69 Dart and '72 Dart start out at the distribution block, if you are original, you may have a second distribution block about 12" down stream of the main distribution block. The line then goes through the cross member (trans) then hugs the inside of the rocker panel back to the front of the leaf springs then there is a joggle to the frame rail up and back then makes a 90° turn to its holder where a flex line then goes to the axle housing.
Are you trying to make this or do you have the whole line from inline tube or some other source?
If you used usct frame connectors, you will have a problem with the crossover after it goes through the trans crossmember. Same issue on the other side of the car with the fuel line.

View attachment 1715895106

Thanks for taking the time Cruz, that helps a bunch now at least I know where to unbend this thing and yes I used usct connectors. I haven't been under the car with this info yet, wondering if a new hole through the connector is a possible option. I have a new ss line from, hell I can't remember now which vendor.

Looks like you will have to creative with your brake line. I am sure that someone else here has done it, maybe they will chime in. I have home made square tubing welded in, I am having a flexing issue and was looking at usct for better torque boxes and sub frame connector, that's how I knew about the fuel/brake line issue. Trying to avoid a full roll cage.
So, your probably going to end up with a splice, probably two. Drilling two holes through the sub frame connector, grommets, and making the spliced part of the line, tricky because it will want to be bent in two places at 90°. Stainless is kinda snotty to flare. Haven't layed under my car for alternatives, I'm sure that there are. Take a good look at it!

Looks like you will have to creative with your brake line. I am sure that someone else here has done it, maybe they will chime in. I have home made square tubing welded in, I am having a flexing issue and was looking at usct for better torque boxes and sub frame connector, that's how I knew about the fuel/brake line issue. Trying to avoid a full roll cage.
So, your probably going to end up with a splice, probably two. Drilling two holes through the sub frame connector, grommets, and making the spliced part of the line, tricky because it will want to be bent in two places at 90°. Stainless is kinda snotty to flare. Haven't layed under my car for alternatives, I'm sure that there are. Take a good look at it!
With everybody's good help here I had the route sorted quickly, much thanks to all. Im half thinking to drill through the frame connector and get lucky threading the z jog through there. Every brake component on the car is new save for rear backing plates, I'd sure like to make this line work, I've double flared soft tube in the past, stainless is an animal. My only concern is now tire clearance, check out pics ive got maybe a bit more than 1/2" tube to tire. Crazy to go with it?

VideoCapture_20220324-153845.jpg

VideoCapture_20220324-153845.jpg

20220324_152450.jpg

20220324_152535.jpg

Last edited:
You can make the line you have work, but it probably won't be in one piece. The problem is the sub frame connector.

I'll get you some pics of the original line with some creative rebending through the USCT subframe connectors n the morning.

As Cruze said-If you used usct frame connectors (Like I did) and forgot to put the brake lines in first (DOH!), You might want to just bite the bullet and get a new line fabbed that just hugs the inside of the new rails all the way back. Or forget the Stainless, and form your own from steel.
I could kick myself sometimes.
I kick myself regularly ! hahaha. this build and components has spread through more than 3 years and my memory ain't what it used to be so I have started a list of all the things to "do before driving!" like tranny oil, diff oil, (new)front wheel bearing grease....

I'll get you some pics of the original line with some creative rebending through the USCT subframe connectors n the morning.
That's awesome. I'm going to mark and drill through the frame connector this morning, I'm pretty sure I can get that z bend massaged through with a little un bending and re-bending. It sure is nice to have helpful people here like yourself.

They call them lists! I have 2 or 3 pages of them around here somewhere! Spread over 2 cars. There's nothing wrong here. We're with you!

I kick myself regularly ! hahaha. this build and components has spread through more than 3 years and my memory ain't what it used to be so I have started a list of all the things to "do before driving!" like tranny oil, diff oil, (new)front wheel bearing grease....
LOL- I am on eight years, and have two lists. One full list related to starting the engine, and one full list of other tasks. I am getting close though

Hilarious learning experience. I drilled the necessary hole through the sub frame connector and methodically began to measure and sort out the process of installation and bending. The frame connector ate some length so the first 5 or 6" or so that should have been right on the rocker were already angling away, so I allowed for this and off set the holes by 1/4" and reworked where the bends needed to be so more of the tube was on the rocker. I straightened out the first (upstream) 90 degree bend, got under the car and thought I was on my way until I remembered the factory hole at the trans cross member area, DOH!! ha ha ha this meant simply making a 90 degree bend and swinging the tube into place at the dist. block was out. I realized then that the second 90 bend would have to be bent almost straight to pass enough tube through the sub frame connector hole and AT THE SAME TIME feeding and slightly bending the tube towards the front of the car to get through the front factory tranny cross member hole. This actually went pretty well. The next challenge was recreating the first (upstream) 90 bend at the right place. I've heard this music before and knew my odds were not good. these 90's use about 2.5" of tube length so again, methodically, I began to pull enough line under the car (tube entering sub frame hole perpendicular to car) to allow a 90 degree bend with the tool. Well, the entire tube has protective spring so my marks were getting moved and I came up short the first time. I bent this bend back straight and had to repeat this process 2 more times. each time, either bending or unbending, the tube with its' spring catching on holes upstream and downstream, needs to be coaxed fwd or backwards depending on if you're bending or unbending. An exercise in patience for sure. So it ain't perfect and will work for a couple drives before disassembly. I also knew that getting this brake line out of the car for media blast and paint would be the reverse process, then do it again after paint to install it again. Yeah umm no thanks. Definitely going to have a splice somewhere in the future for cleaner bends etc. I guess I needed a new challenge and got it! What I lack in youth, I have gained in patience, 20 years ago I would have lost my **** doing this and would have put a cloud over the rest of my day but you know what, I got one time around in this life, getting mad and especially staying mad robs me of whatever it is I do when I walk away from the car, especially family stuff so for that, I'm pretty dang proud of how far I have come.

looks like I'm a little late to help, but here are the lines on my Dart with USCT frame connectors

DSC02945.JPG
DSC02946.JPG
DSC02948.JPG
DSC02949.JPG
DSC02950.JPG
DSC02951.JPG

That looks really good, did you manage one piece or have to splice? Im also curious about your fuel line, what type of hose is that. Nice clean ride you've got there!

All one piece, but it was a struggle to get it in in the area between the trans crossmember and the frame connector. The gas line is on the opposite side of the car, and is stainless Where it goes through the Frame connector I split some rubber gas hose and wrapped it around the metal gas line so it doesn't wear on the metal of the frame connector. Easy to apply to protect the tube that would be hard to replace and easy to replace if it wears. The whitish tube that you see is polyethylene tube that carrys the emergency brake cable under the frame connector so that it doesn't saw on the cable. The cable slides easily on the polyethylene and the tube can be easily replaced if it wears through. When all is done I'll spray it black to make it "disappear".

By the way the car is clean now because it isn't finished - I'm in the middle of mods to put an A500 automatic in it.

DSC02952.JPG

All one piece, but it was a struggle to get it in in the area between the trans crossmember and the frame connector. The gas line is on the opposite side of the car, and is stainless Where it goes through the Frame connector I split some rubber gas hose and wrapped it around the metal gas line so it doesn't wear on the metal of the frame connector. Easy to apply to protect the tube that would be hard to replace and easy to replace if it wears. The whitish tube that you see is polyethylene tube that carrys the emergency brake cable under the frame connector so that it doesn't saw on the cable. The cable slides easily on the polyethylene and the tube can be easily replaced if it wears through. When all is done I'll spray it black to make it "disappear".
Very clever. Reminds me I gotta source literally everything for my e brake from handle back!

I finished all hard brake lines yesterday, more creative bending on the shortened 8 3/4. Ive got the 2 flex hoses on the front discs left and that's it. Now let's talk about the damn clipping arrangement of the flex end fittings. They're common, my Land Cruiser has same and I struggle with these damn things every time! Literally could not get the clip in on the rear flex.Am I missing something here!?

He means the c clip that fastens the the end of the flex line to the holder? Hammer.

-
Back