68 Barracuda Hood Insert Plastic gasket

-

rednesss

Reaction score
You know that plastic piece that goes under the hood inserts that disintegrates as soon as you remove the hood inserts??? I don't suppose that there are replacements available??? Or does somebody have a recommendation on how to replace it with a substitute material??? I guess it's just there to prevent the hood inserts from vibrating through the paint and into the metal and then rusting???? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

i looked for awhile and had no luck finding new gaskets so i just bought a tube of the clear silicone rtv and spread a thin layer around the bottom of each insert.it seems to work just fine.
terry

I was thinking about finding some teflon washers the right size and putting them on the studs between the insert and the hood. Then again I do want it to seal as I bet water accumulates in there and would drip on the engine.

In the past I have used an old inner tube. If there is enough of the original one to trace onto the tube it would be easy. If not you need to use the insert as a template.

-
Back