68 Barracuda Mini Tub rear end ?

-

boosted

Life Needs Air
Reaction score
Have a fastback 68 bcuda and plans are to minitubb it. I am wondering about the rearend. I am replacing the orginal one with a Dana 60 and wondered how much shorter would be good to go for a 305 or 325 tire and be able to get wheels without breaking the bank? Wheel wells will be stretched to the frame. The dana will be a drum rearend. Seeing how I am cutting down a truck dana 60 I might as well do it so I can afford a set of rims for the car.

If anyone has already done this I would love to pick your brain and see some photos of your car.

I always get my wheels and tires first.
Set them under your minitubbed car and measure between wheels.
Hard to screw up this way.

I guess a better way of asking this is what is the most backspace you can run in a stock wheel well without touching with a tire? Then I can just cut the dana down that much, use the same backspace wheel and the rest will be offset. Then I can just cut the additional tub stretch from the stock rearend width.of 57 1/8.

Am I thinking of this correctly?

So if I ad 6" total of wheel tub then make the axle 51 1/8??? Just for info I will not be using the stock tubs.. It will have an aftermarket sheet metal tub as I want the car lower with the big tire.

You can choose any backspace you want since your axle isn't built yet.
Why confine your wheel choices by building the axle first.
Cut the inner wells out to the rails and you have about 13 1/2" of space to fill up
with tire. Possibly less since you are lowering body over tires?
Sticking with the obtain your tires and wheels before making a cut on the axle.
No more guess calculations of what you might or might not get and
make your axle the improper width for your imaginary wheels.
Just measure between wheels as they are set in place where you want them to be.
It is really that simple.

I also should have mentioned wheels are stronger if the offset is nearest to the center of the wheel width. The wider the wheel the more leverage available to bend a wheel especially when the offset is set near its polar limits.

-
Back