68 Barracuda Savage GT Tribute Pro-touring Build

-

Mr.Green

Reaction score
Let me start by saying my 68 'cuda fastback is not a Savage GT. I am in the process of building a tribute car. Its also being built to be a mildly competitive pro-touring car.

A little about me...
I'm 29 years old. I have loved cars since i was little. My step dad is to blame. He is an old hot rod builder and Mopar man. I grew up constantly going to car shows and building things with him in the garage. Our 'campfire' car is his 1968 Plymouth Barracuda 340 Formula S. He also has a fully restore 36 Plymouth Coupe. As i grew up i joined a local dirt track racing team. I became obsessed with engines and racing. I digested hundreds of books by world renowned engine builders. The more I read the less prejudice i was of make and model. I began to look at vehicles from an engineering standpoint. Still to this day I'm always reading something. I find all sorts of cars cool or interesting. From Hemi 'cudas to a 77 Toyota Celica Liftback, I love everything automotive.

A little about my step dad...
He's an old timer. He is going to be 70 this year. He was drafted into the military straight out of high school and he went and fought in the Vietnam war. When he returned from the war he purchased a brand new 1968 Plymouth Barracuda 340 Formula S. He special ordered it with power nothing and no AC. Anything from the factory he could have done to it to make it lighter or more powerful he ordered. He started his own construction company and is still hard at it today. He owns several 67-69 Barracuda's, as well as a couple darts, dusters, and 36 Plymouth Coupe. He is getting older and decided that a 68 cuda he redid then shelved over 30 years ago he was going to give to me in his will. But at the same time he wants to finish it before he is gone and he wants me to put my own spin on it. He knows I love the Savage GT. I have 3 books on them, and 3 articles. They really were the barracuda that could have destroyed the Shelby Mustangs...they just came out too late and Ford and Chevy were already established names with the z28 and Shelby.

A little about the car...
Its a 1968 Barracuda fastback base model. Slant Six, Auto, Drum Brakes, Open Diff, ect. When he redid it 30 some years ago he got all new glass for it and painted it red, with black vinyl interior. He always planned on doing something different to it. I think he felt like He has remained a purist with his formula s. So he wanted to keep and open mind and do something crazy.
Here we are 30 years later and now its finally coming together. The car is getting independent suspension all the way around. Its getting a modern fuel injection engine, and transmission. Modern Disc brakes all the way around. Some modern updates to the interior, Gauges, Carper, and some carbon fiber accents. The body really is an idea of his from a long time ago. He wants a 69 Valiant grill and Hemi ss styled 70 duster hood. He loves the open grill look of the Savage GT. As do I. The car will remain Red with a flat black hood and trunk, with some side accents.
Here is where i am going to catch some hate... but i have a good reason from an engineering stand point.
Its getting a 408 LSx. Its cheap. I have most of the parts. And they make incredible power effortlessly. I'm Going with LS3 heads. They are some of the most well designed factory heads i have seen since the Ford Cleavland. I seriously considered the modern Hemi Swap. But even a truck 5.7 used was like $3500. Plus I hate the valve train geometry of the modern Hemi. More on that later. My 408 will make around 500Hp to the wheels. And on the same $3500 engine budget will make great streetable reliable power and be brand new. The transmission is a 4L80E.
Even my purist step dad thinks its the best engine for the car. Light, compact, well designed, reliable, and powerful are hard to argue with.
The suspension is an interesting one... Its getting a Jag IRS. 3.54 ratio. I haven't decided on coil over suspension or air ride yet. The front is getting an 03 Ford Crown Victoria IFS. Again haven't decided on air ride or coil overs. Anyone with air ride feel free to send me a Pm and tell me your feelings on it.

Anyways, Glad to be here and glad to be a part of this great community.

Hi,

I really like the Savage GTs! I hope that there will be a "resto thread", but you already mentioned the problem with the engine...:D

savage.png

:thumbrig:

Good luck and have some fun!

Thanks there will be a build thread at some point when I get done rounding up parts. Sorry about the engine. I knew I would catch hell. But it will all be very clean when I am finished. Good to see there is another Savage GT fan out there.

mr. green...

building a savage is a GREAT idea! there were not very many of them when they were new and i have never heard of one outside of california. please post pics as you build yours.

best of luck...

Thanks Jim I will. I have only ever heard of 3 of them being found. All of them barn finds. One was in Michigan and in pretty sad shape even missing some parts sadly. They only managed to make 12 I read. If only they had marketed the Savage GT better back in the day...

I said I would share a little more on the modern Hemi Valve Train geometry in a post above. Let me tell you a little of my background first...

I went to school for Design Technology and Engineering. I then attended school at School of Automotive Machinists. I am constantly reading something, I believe in self education. I have hundreds of Books on engineering, engine building, head porting all written by reputable and world record holding builders. I am a function over form guy and at times I can be very analytical. Now I don't know everything, and I never will but that's why I keep reading and educating myself.

The Modern Hemi valve train is not a bad valve train. The modern Hemi is a great engine. I love everything about it... except the valve train. Keep in mind what I am about to discuss applies only to racing engines. The hemi as a street and hot rod motor is great. So here is my issue... The pushrods aren't center square with the lifters. This is a very bad thing when is comes to high rpm. I never even considered this until Judd the owner and instructor at SAM pointed it out. So at the highest levels of racing when you have done everything you can do to make power the only thing you can do to make more is turn more RPM. Judd's engine in his orange Camaro is 440 LSX that turns 10,000 rpm and make right around 1000hp NA:twisted:. Now according to Judd... a modern hemi is at risk of bending the end of the push rod that is in contact with the lifter. Because the lifter and the pushrod meet at an angle. The pushrod has even been know to "jump" off the pushrod seat on the lifter at high rpm. Now I personally have never witnessed this. But here is how I look at it. Judd is a world record holding engine builder and racer. If he says its bad its bad. He is a non-prejudice engine builder. To him engines are just air pumps. If he says hang fuzzy dice from the mirror to go faster, you hang fuzzy dice from the mirror.:D My take on learning racing secrets is like this... Do you want to learn from a backyard mechanic or weekend racer, or do you want to learn from someone with world record holder written on the side of their car.

Honestly I Believe the whole Hemi head thing is just a marketing scheme to sell cars. You look at the valve sizes and flow numbers on a 5.7 ls6 head and a 5.7 Hemi and they are really close. You take a look at the LS3 head vs the 6.1 head they flow about the same but the Hemi actually uses a slightly smaller valve. Which is the Hemi design advantage virtually no valve shrouding from the cylinder. But again the figures are very close.

Again I seriously considered the Hemi. But it was just way out of my budget. I would love a 6.1 under the hood. Maybe someday. But for now its gonna be a Frankenstein. Mopar car, Chevy engine, Jaguar IRS, Ford front suspension...#-o

-
Back