68 Barracuda wiring upgrade-HELP

-

4406FASTBACK

Reaction score
Please HELP-This is a six cylinder car/wiring harness- First I made upgrades to my 68 Barracuda 440 six pack put NEW Mopar electronic distribitor kit in and the NEW ballast resistor & Accel super stock coil is staying VERY HOT.I have a one wire 60 amp Denso alternator wired with sense wire going to back of fuse block and charging wire goes to the starter relay next to battery.I have hooked the amp gauge wires together and by passed the original gauge.Car runs fine.Just concerned about these parts getting so HOT. Please confirm if this is right or wrong and tell me what to do. Appreciate any HELP.

Please HELP-This is a six cylinder car/wiring harness- First I made upgrades to my 68 Barracuda 440 six pack put NEW Mopar electronic distribitor kit in and the NEW ballast resistor & Accel super stock coil is staying VERY HOT.I have a one wire 60 amp Denso alternator wired with sense wire going to back of fuse block and charging wire goes to the starter relay next to battery.I have hooked the amp gauge wires together and by passed the original gauge.Car runs fine.Just concerned about these parts getting so HOT. Please confirm if this is right or wrong and tell me what to do. Appreciate any HELP.

What does Accel suggest for a ballast resistor specification? You might call their tech. line for suggestions. I don't think it should be real hot but will get warm.

You don't say what other parts are getting hot? Are you talking also about the alt. getting hot? How long does it run before it gets hot? How low was the battery voltage before you ran it? If the battery was low on charge it would get the alt. warm or hot to the touch till the battery gets up on a charge.

Alternator is fine,as is battery and other parts.Part that is really HOT is the New resistor that came with the Mopar electronic Distribitor kit,it will burn ya,directions says it may smoke for a few mins.,but it stays hot.the coil is HOT to touch.I eliminated the Voltage Regulator and added the Denso one wire set up all voltage checks is good 13.8 volts at idle.

Alternator is fine,as is battery and other parts.Part that is really HOT is the New resistor that came with the Mopar electronic Distribitor kit,it will burn ya,directions says it may smoke for a few mins.,but it stays hot.the coil is HOT to touch.I eliminated the Voltage Regulator and added the Denso one wire set up all voltage checks is good 13.8 volts at idle.

The ballast resistor gets pretty hot. Do the directions for the coil state a resistor value? Maybe check online for your particular coil specifications.

-
Back