'68 B'cuda inner (plastic) grill detailing tips?

-

HMBCUDA

Reaction score
looking for help with cleaning/detailing my '68 barracuda inner plastic grill.
-what product worked with out damaging them and tool used, etc.

I have one that has what looks like road tar or possibly undercoating on it
I also have one set that is "chrome" plastic...just the outside tip/edge of the ribs are left chrome, the rest is painted. (all original factory finishes)

-"chrome" has a dulled look to it on sections and hope to clean it and bring it back to near original condition, BUT don't want to do more harm than good using the wrong cleaning solution and tools.

What do the Pro's/car show enthusiast guys use?

Post a pic of the problems you are dealing with. It may help with suggestions.

The chrome edge you are talking about was an option I believe called "spring special". I'm not sure if it'll show on fendertag or build sheet.

I would use an environmentally friendly cleaner. Less apt to harm plastic with that stuff in my opinion. Pics?

The chrome edge you are talking about was an option I believe called "spring special". I'm not sure if it'll show on fendertag or build sheet.
Yes, and my Cuda has the "Spring Special" including the gills and spears....
I need my grill parts re-chromed too....just know who to trust...very expensive part for someone to screw up...

Gills and spears hard to see....
2017120295113131.jpg

Jeff

Yes, and my Cuda has the "Spring Special" including the gills and spears....
I need my grill parts re-chromed too....just know who to trust...very expensive part for someone to screw up...

Gills and spears hard to see....
View attachment 1715200441

Jeff
Thanks guys I'll get some pis on here tomorrow, was busy today and didn't get on the PC.

Jeff i had my (3 sets) of grill surround parts "bright dipped" (not chromed) at King of Trim in so. Calif. area. they did a pretty good job straightening, and the bright dip make them looks like new.

I live in No.Calif and didn't trust the postal service, so drove down and talked personalty with the man in charge, (through an interpreter) Like you say these parts are valuable, almost irreplaceable, and i didn't want to take a chance on them being lost.

I just got through repairing the broken studs and assembling all the grill just a few days ago.

My barracuda was not a "spring special" I had a few "incidents" over the 40 years
I've had mine, and was lucky enough to find replacement parts, back in the day when you could find them in the "parts for sale" section of the want adds. the grills i have must have come from a spring special, I got lucky!

I think the "gills" you mentioned are the cool rock guards at the bottom of the doors and panels,(always liked those, wish i had them!) I would like to see a pic. of the "spears" you mentioned, not sure what those parts look like.

thanks again, I'll get some Pic on if i can figure it out, Ha.

Thanks guys I'll get some pis on here tomorrow, was busy today and didn't get on the PC.

Jeff i had my (3 sets) of grill surround parts "bright dipped" (not chromed) at King of Trim in so. Calif. area. they did a pretty good job straightening, and the bright dip make them looks like new.

I live in No.Calif and didn't trust the postal service, so drove down and talked personalty with the man in charge, (through an interpreter) Like you say these parts are valuable, almost irreplaceable, and i didn't want to take a chance on them being lost.

I just got through repairing the broken studs and assembling all the grill just a few days ago.

My barracuda was not a "spring special" I had a few "incidents" over the 40 years
I've had mine, and was lucky enough to find replacement parts, back in the day when you could find them in the "parts for sale" section of the want adds. the grills i have must have come from a spring special, I got lucky!

I think the "gills" you mentioned are the cool rock guards at the bottom of the doors and panels,(always liked those, wish i had them!) I would like to see a pic. of the "spears" you mentioned, not sure what those parts look like.

thanks again, I'll get some Pic on if i can figure it out, Ha.

re-reading this, Jeff think you are talking about "re-chrome" the plastic grill, (I must be tired), hard to find anyone that does that, Try Lawson's, they might? i was looking into who refinishes dash bezels,(plastic re-chrome too), they do dash bezels, so might be worth a shot, i think they're a reputable company also. Though I've haven't worked with them yet.

Sorry should be PM'n all this...getting off subject somewhat...thanks for straightening me out on the gill-spear terms! learn some thing new every day!

To chime in here is the plastic "rechroming' that most places do is a vacuum metalizing process, it will not last long on an exterior. That process is used for interior plastic parts like gage bezels, and armrest bases, and in those applications it still doesnt hold up well. Just a spritz of windex will spot it and ruin it.

To chime in here is the plastic "rechroming' that most places do is a vacuum metalizing process, it will not last long on an exterior. That process is used for interior plastic parts like gage bezels, and armrest bases, and in those applications it still doesnt hold up well. Just a spritz of windex will spot it and ruin it.
I had PARTSMONSTA do my grills. I had done a lot to them and painted the inner plastic flat black, I thot the might have come that way from the looks of them. When I got them back from him, he had cleaned and repainted the appropriate colors on them, including the chrome look on the leading edges. I have no clue how he did it. You might try to contact him----------

Heading out to the garage in a minute. ..pictures coming...

Jeff

Need coffee first!

Ok....got coffee...
image000001.jpg

Gills
image000001.jpg

Gills and spears
image000001.jpg

And my chrome problem
image000001.jpg

The "Spring Special" was a very cool option. ..I got lucky when I found this 'Cuda...

Jeff

So what you're saying is the tips of the grill teeth were chromed and the rest of the grills were black and yours are painted all black just because the Chrome kind of went to crap I'm only asking because I've never seen a 68 Barracuda spring special this is the first time I've heard of one

I'm back...love the coffee mug with your Cuda Pic! (LOLed) Going to attempt to attach pictures of my grills.
first 3 are of the Non-chrome with tar/road grime?
-after "chrome" shot, shows "spring special" grill... with white paint over-spray, and film of road grime(?) or what-ever. that needs to be cleaned off them to bring them back to a decent shine. these things are 50 years old so not expecting miracles, but think the will clean up nice.

thanks everyone! hope there are some tricks up some ones sleeve to detail these without wrecking them!

DSCF3829.JPG

DSCF3830.JPG

DSCF3832.JPG

DSCF3834.JPG

DSCF3835.JPG

DSCF3835.JPG

DSCF3836.JPG

DSCF3839.JPG

DSCF3842.JPG

Mineral spirits for old road tar, then use tarnex and a soft cloth to remove the tarnish from the teeth, then clean and fog it the grilles with dark argent paint, and use a paper towel w enamel reducer to carefully wipe off the teeth while paint is still tacky. I know thats what i would do.

Mineral spirits for old road tar, then use tarnex and a soft cloth to remove the tarnish from the teeth, then clean and fog it the grilles with dark argent paint, and use a paper towel w enamel reducer to carefully wipe off the teeth while paint is still tacky. I know thats what i would do.
Thanks! I give it a test shot on the inside, I don't want to remove the original paint and have to re-paint if at all possible. Just clean the original finish. The over-spray may be tough to get of with out damage though.
Any other suggestions are appreciated too! Thanks

I would clean it in hot soapy water, maybe dawn and a tooth brush. Then fog the whole part with correct argent.

Very cool with the reference pics. I had a set years ago but never thought to look for different part #. Neat seeing "chrome"

Very cool with the reference pics. I had a set years ago but never thought to look for different part #. Neat seeing "chrome"
Yes, definitely two different part #'s and finishes, pretty rare i think, don't want to screw them up! I've had them for, (embarrassed to say how many ) years, stored and wrapped in bubble wrap. recent recovery from surgery, & retirement has given me time to (try), get the poor girl back together.

-
Back