68 Cuda Bucket seats...

-

jimharvard

JimHarvard
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Do any of you smart upolstrey guys out there know how the headrests go into a set of 68-69 cuda buckets? i've got the plastic tubes that go into the inside of the seat back but i don't know how to put them in.

any information would be appreciated..

thanks.. and merry christmas to all..

jim coster, pittsburgh

I think the plastic tubes are for the later model cars, your car should have 3 white plastic pieces and a metal tab that bolts to the middle anchor. Here`s a couple pics that might help. These are from a 68.

IM000374 (Small).JPG

IM000372 (Small).JPG

IM000373 (Small).JPG

hey longgone....
thanks for the pics... i'll use them for reference when i take the seat backs off and pull the material off the frame... the headrest tubes i bought off ebay are pretty close to the white ones in your pic... i won't know if they will work until i look at the frame.

do you think it would be easier/cheaper to just look around for a set of buckest that already have headrests on them??? i want to up-grade both my 68 and my 69..

hope you had a great christmas..
thanks again..

jim coster, pittsburgh

You`re welcome. You might actually find a set of buckets w/headrests for the price of the repro headrests with all of the hardware.

hey longgone...
i've been surfing ebay for some black headrest buckets... nothing yet.. althought i did just grab an original 69 formula s rear deck lid bezel... the one with the formula s medallion on the right hand side. they are just way to hard to find...
i've wanted to ask you about your avatar... :0) .... were you being bad late one night in some parking lot close to your house???? back in high school... i was coming home late one sat night in a 440 4 speed road runner i had just bought and caught one of the few red lights in the small w.va. town i grew up in. i just couldn't help myself... i brought "the bird" out at about 4500 and first and second looked pretty much like your avatar.... but it was short lived... the local cop knew my car and was waiting for me at the end of town... :0( .... that little stunt cost about $100 which was BIG money back then..
take care and have a safe new years...

jim c... the burg...

hey longgone...
i've been surfing ebay for some black headrest buckets... nothing yet.. althought i did just grab an original 69 formula s rear deck lid bezel... the one with the formula s medallion on the right hand side. they are just way to hard to find...
i've wanted to ask you about your avatar... :0) .... were you being bad late one night in some parking lot close to your house???? back in high school... i was coming home late one sat night in a 440 4 speed road runner i had just bought and caught one of the few red lights in the small w.va. town i grew up in. i just couldn't help myself... i brought "the bird" out at about 4500 and first and second looked pretty much like your avatar.... but it was short lived... the local cop knew my car and was waiting for me at the end of town... :0( .... that little stunt cost about $100 which was BIG money back then..

jim c... the burg...

If you happen to run across a set of dark green one in your hunt, please let me know. And if I should find some black ones I'll let you know. thanks---

hey longgone...

jim c... the burg...

If you`re patient I`m sure some seats will turn up, you might also search Dart,Valiant, and the years 68-70. That story about your RR is funny and yes I have donated my fair share to the community chest when I was young. I think I paid (at the least)for the short road that led to my house back then. Lol! My avatar is of a school parking lot that`s close to home. It`s where I TRY OUT the car. Of course after school is out. The first mark I layed down shortly after break-in of an old 383/440 crank stroker motor I had in the car. I went around the block and picked up my girlfriend to give her a ride. When she saw the mark she said "how`d you do that"? The second mark was my explanation. She was white knuckled but was thoroughly tickled with the experience. I thought it would make a great avatar suited to my FABO name, so I went back and snapped a photo.:)

Longgone... that's why i like old mopars and old mopar lovers... stories like yours... back in the day... we use to do the $5 bill taped to the dash trick... basically you'd take a $5 and tape it to the dash and then pick up the most dreebish... goofy friend you had... then you'd find a long stretch of road and roll to a complete stop. you'd tell the dreeb that when you took off, if he could reach up and grab the $5 he could have it. and of course you would then dump the clutch at about 4k and powershift through the gears at 6 and then start grabbing downshifts to try and bring the whole experience to a safe end. usually the meakish guy sitting beside you (they were usually in band or the audio visual club) would be sheet white and not to talkative from the massive jolts from the mopar big block, the "heavy duty" 11 inch clutch and 4:10 dana... not to mention "that sound" of a 750 double pump holley trying to suck the hood into the intake... yea.. i like your avatar Longgone...

i just bid on a set of 68 buckets on ebay... they're kind of rough but if i get them at the right price... they're be worth restoring.

take care..
jc...
ps.. tell me if your girlfriend manages to grab the $5 spot next time you're out for a spin...

hey sg...cuda...
i'll keep my eye out for some green buckets... i'm on ebay like 4 hours a day so i'll probably run across some... i just bought a maroon set of top and bottom dash pads for a 68 ... i was going to dye them black and use the top pad on my 69. but they arrived with some pretty big gouge marks in them so i'm looking again. i know the green interior you're referring to. i think it may be the best looking original interior of all the ones offered 67-69. i've seen some very nice restored cudas with that interior and it really looks nice.. especially if there's some wood grain accents in the dash and/or console.

take care..
jc

It`s so funny that you would mention all of those things that strike so close to home. Grab the bill from the dash was a regular game everyone played. A lot of my experiences took place in my 69 Super Bee 440-6. It was a 4spd. car with a Dana 60 and 4:88 gears. The sound of those 3 Holley 2300`s swallowing up the air through that huge scoop while I wound through the gears was just magical. It`s also coincidental you`d mention that huge clutch because having to depress that 11" Zoom clutch after a night of "playing hide the sausage" with my future wife was quite difficult and would make my leg quake, especially if you had to hold it to the floor for any length of time. Lol! Good luck with the auction.

I think I may have gotten the silliest ticket of all. Back in 1971 I bought a brand new 1970 340 4sd. Duster. After adding a few go fast parts like 780 Holley, hedmen Headers, a pair Thrush mufflers (remember those?), a 4.30 Sg third member, and some JC Penny J 60 x14's on some widdened 14"ralley wheels. I left a trafic light in the small town of Brandon Fl. and all I did was bark the gears in 1st,2nd, and third. I was pulled over and given a ticket with the "other" box checked along with "exibition of acceleration" written in the blank. Cost be 40.00 if I remember right.

hey sg...cuda...
i'll keep my eye out for some green buckets... i'm on ebay like 4 hours a day so i'll probably run across some... i just bought a maroon set of top and bottom dash pads for a 68 ... i was going to dye them black and use the top pad on my 69. but they arrived with some pretty big gouge marks in them so i'm looking again. i know the green interior you're referring to. i think it may be the best looking original interior of all the ones offered 67-69. i've seen some very nice restored cudas with that interior and it really looks nice.. especially if there's some wood grain accents in the dash and/or console.

take care..
jc

Hey I found these on ebay, if it helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=280188065875&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

I think I may have gotten the silliest ticket of all. Back in 1971 I bought a brand new 1970 340 4sd. Duster. After adding a few go fast parts like 780 Holley, hedmen Headers, a pair Thrush mufflers (remember those?), a 4.30 Sg third member, and some JC Penny J 60 x14's on some widdened 14"ralley wheels. I left a trafic light in the small town of Brandon Fl. and all I did was bark the gears in 1st,2nd, and third. I was pulled over and given a ticket with the "other" box checked along with "exibition of acceleration" written in the blank. Cost be 40.00 if I remember right.

I got one back then too for spinning a set of J-60`s and it was called "breaking traction"..,lol!

hey longgone...
you know i just have to feel sorry for "the kids" today... they will never know what it was like "in the old days".... i looked at a 69 1/2 440 road runner that had just arrived at the local plymouth dealer the same time i was looking at my 68 fastback formula s. what really sold me on the cuda was the fold down rear seat versus the bird's back seat. shortly after the fish arrived in my driveway, i ripped out the black carpet in the rear and replaced it with white "rabbit fur" type carpet. with the trunk door folded down, that car was 7 feet of uninterrupted small town drive in enjoyment. i also remember how the cuda's "heavy duty" clutch was a drag at times sitting at a red light early in the morning taking one of the many high school girl friends home...

hey sgt ... cuda... thanks for the heads-up on the charger headrest. i've got a bid in on them presently...

ah the memories that float around today's baby boomer's heads...

later... jim c...

-
Back