68 cuda center link

-

dillinger

Reaction score
hi guys.
have the stering linkage out of my 68 cuda had to remove the oil pan .now putting stering linkage back .it seems like the center link will fit on the idler arm and the pitman arm eighter way.not sure which way it was when I took it off.can it go on eighter way.anybody have that problem.
thanks guys.
:burnout:

I have an original 68 Barracuda that has not had the front suspension apart yet. I can go look in the morning when it's light out....

I'm pretty sure the spacing and offsets in this center link are mirror image so it would install switched end for end.

hi guys
thanks for your quick reply to my mystery .it looks like it will fit both ways.
keep your stick on the ice.

the Valiant has been off and replaced. But it still looks like it will work.

There's just a slight difference in the fore/aft positioning if you switch it around...

It may be an option to use if you need some clearance in one direction...

hi guys
just to clear up the mystery re the centerlink on 67to69 a bodys some guys on this website said the centerlink will go on eighter way .r&r that thing 3 times if the center link is on wrong the inner tierod on the passenger side is to high and hits the torsenbar.so the center link will install eighter way but there is only one right way.hope that can help another mopar brother in the future.

Well there you go. We learned something. If its not marked and is questionable...Mark it, photograph it, whatever, before taking it apart.
To create a sticky defining variations and orientation of the few center links of A-bodies would be a nice addition here.
It would need to be group effort. One member with one center link would start it by defining the center link he/she has in pics with dimensions and in such a way that others could repeat it with the different model center link they have.

Bottom line is it only goes one way.

The tapers for the inner tie rod ends must be oriented so the inner tie rods install from the front side with the nuts on the backside.

If you were to flip it the tapers would be oriented incorrectly.

We aren't discussing flipping over or upside down. The issue here is switching end for end.

We aren't discussing flipping over or upside down. The issue here is switching end for end.

Think about it.

End for End would would put the taper for the inner tie rod end backwards and you would have to insert them from the rear going forward. The tie rods would be severely out of line. The only way you could flip it would be end for end because the tapers would be upside down for the pitman and idler and the center link would be bowed up and hit the oil pan. Would it not?

Think about it.

End for End would would put the taper for the inner tie rod end backwards and you would have to insert them from the rear going forward. The tie rods would be severely out of line. The only way you could flip it would be end for end because the tapers would be upside down for the pitman and idler and the center link would be bowed up and hit the oil pan. Would it not?

Yeah I'm now wondering which of us needs more coffee. LOL I stated early on that the tapers go together only 1 way. The offset in the bar always goes down away from the engine / oil pan so.... Yall sort it while I get a refill :)
One things for certain, cant beat a factory service manual.

hi guys
good talk on the centerlink when I took out the centerlink
I left the tirods attached to both ends,when I tried to install it did not want to go in so I flipped it over.it went inplace but when all the links were tightened it would hit the passanger side torsenbar and the centerlink looked closer to the oilpan and was pointing higher and to the rear more .took it out for the third time and flipped itend for end and bolted it up it was correct.ok guys keep your stick on the ice.

-
Back