68 Cuda Fastback trunk floor extensions

-

CUUDAK

Reaction score
Does anyone repop the trunk floor extension for the abody Barracudas'?? after cutting the lower 1/4 i found that the large blob of seamsealer caused quite a bit of damage to the extensions and this was the cause of the rot to the 1/4s. rotted from inside-out.

Nope, closest we can do right now is buy one for a Dart and work it. I was told the dart and cuda were very close. Anyhow, I bought the ones for the dart but have not put them on yet. I have looked them over and compared them to what is one the cuda. My best guess is, they are the correct length. They are the correct height. They are not the correct width. This has mean confused as they were suppose to be, but appear to be about 1" too wide. Not a real problem as this can be worked with. They are not the correct shape in the front. The part that follows the wheel well for a dart, angles back much more than on a Cuda and the difference seems to be a couple of inches. The solution is to cut the extension at the lip and bring the lip down at the correct angle, then get some 18 gauge sheet metal and fab in the couple of inches that are missing. It is a pain!!

I got the lower outer 1/4s from a 70 Duster from Yearone. Pretty close and about 4 or 5 inches longer which will make it easy to cut close to the original shape and shrink the end around to meet the rear body panel.. Looks like this will be cut and dry. I just want the inner to look as factory as possible.

I was told that Duster trunk extensions are the best fit, but it took quite a bit of work for them to fit my '67. I had to cut 1.5" and re-bend the piece to make it taper towards the back, radius the lower rear corner, and shorten the part that welds to the fender lip. I attached a few pics. The bigger one is the original Duster piece; and the small one is my modified one for a cuda.

CIMG1201-1.jpg

CIMG1202-1.jpg

Helluva job you did there!! Looks pretty good. I think i can get away with just the side of the extension. Mine rotted where that big blob of seam sealer was at the far rear of the 1/4. I will just section it in near the bend at the trunk floor. I have a Linco spot welder that will retain the factory look as far as welds. Mine is 1 of 395 and i really want to keep it looking as factory as possible to keep its value.

-
Back