68 cuda trunk mouldings

-

0ld school

Reaction score
i see laysons makes theese for 68 cudas. they are made out of stainless instead of aluminum. they are expensive. has anybody seen these on a car. how do they fit and look?

i'm getting close to needing mine. they need to be repaired. i would likely spend what the re-po,s cost. just wondering which way to go...

Nothing fits like original. The top and bottom pieces of the trunk trim are different sizes, I'm sure the repos are the same size.They screwed up the 67 moldings and I'm sure the 68 are junk also. Just my two cents.

Nothing fits like original. The top and bottom pieces of the trunk trim are different sizes, I'm sure the repos are the same size.They screwed up the 67 moldings and I'm sure the 68 are junk also. Just my two cents.

there is a guy here in tulsa, that told me he would do them for $150 apeice, his company is called millions and trillions. kind of weird tho, I met him at his house to let him look at them. jfyi bob

Have a set, haven't tried mounting them on the car yet, the moldings are done correct in the two different sizes for the upper and lower on a 68. If you have not actually see a pair of these moldings in person, the stainless pieces are alot stronger and heavier then the originals, I mean if you were to swing one across someones head you would knock them out. Also another difference, each molding is constructed from two pieces and then welded in the center, where the originals are made from one piece.
When I get them on the car I will take a pic and post it.

Have a set, haven't tried mounting them on the car yet, the moldings are done correct in the two different sizes for the upper and lower on a 68. If you have not actually see a pair of these moldings in person, the stainless pieces are alot stronger and heavier then the originals, I mean if you were to swing one across someones head you would knock them out. Also another difference, each molding is constructed from two pieces and then welded in the center, where the originals are made from one piece.

Would you post some pictures of them before you install them? I would like to see what the back side looks like too.

thanks for the reply!:prayer: can you take a pic off the car too? do they use the stock mounting clips? how do you think they look? would you buy again? thanks, brian

They must have changed the tooling,originally they used the same-top and bottom and they used the same thin aluminum as they used on 69 finish panels

I just picked up a 68 formula S and my trunk moldings have some dings in them so ill be looking for some new or nos pieces id love to see pics also please

I just picked up a 68 formula S and my trunk moldings have some dings in them so ill be looking for some new or nos pieces id love to see pics also please

I have yet to come across a NOS 68 Barracuda trunk molding. Been looking since 1996. If there was any around I missed them. The other question would be is my pocket deep enough to buy one if it surfaced. A super nice pair sold for $500 in just a few minutes here on FABO and they went overseas.

As requested by Bill (oklacarcollector) and the poster of this thread Brian, here is pics of the Layson's 68 Cuda trunk lid mouldings.
I won't be able to mount them on the car until the weather here is a little more suitable, so for that reason based solely on the quality and appearance and not fit, I can say these moldings would be show car worthy, unless one was going for an all out points car the only problem with these moldings I can see is the welded seam is slightly visible on the finished side.

Sorry let me try the pics again.

Here we go again with pics.

Hi Brian, I was informed the stock clips will work with these moldings, won't know until I try to mount them.
The only negative thing I can say at this time, considering how expensive these moldings are it doesn't make any sense to me why the mounting clips are not included and need to be obtained seperately through Layson's.
Maybe if Rick Layson catches this thread he can enlighten us.

Attachments

• IMG_3676 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_3679 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3680 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_3682 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3683 (1024x491) (800x384).jpg
    110 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_3684 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    187 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_3685 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3686 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3688 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 209
Thanks for posting these. They do look pretty dang good.

I like them ! what did they rob u for on them ?/ probably out of my price range! I got a set plus an extra bottom piece , but haven`t had them reworked yet. keep hoping to run across some good ones that don`t have RAPE involved !!! ---------------------------------bob

They look great, but I used my old ones just to get my car on the road this summer. Every time I turn around there are new and improved part comming out and it takes awile to save the money to buy them. Thanks for the up date, some day I may have a set

thanks jtg! those look very nice. better than i expected. i will be oredring me a set. thanks again.

I have these on mine. I'm pretty happy with them, but keep in mind the fit and finish aren't quite as nice as the original aluminum... Primary concerns... they don't "bend" easily for fit and may leave slight gaps here and there. They are heavy which may lend for your trunk lid falling on your head. The color of the silver is too dark (easy fix though). I used a can of Krylon dull aluminum. Taped them off, scuffs with some really fine paper, and shot them with the Krylon. Bolted them on, put a wooden dowel in the trunk for a make-shift prop rod, and hit the shows. Looks much better than the dented originals.

Does anyone have pics of this trim actually mounted on their car? They look like real beauties. My concern is how well do they fit. I will order a set in a heart beat after seeing a picture of a fit that looks as nice as the part.

I have these on mine. I'm pretty happy with them, but keep in mind the fit and finish aren't quite as nice as the original aluminum... Primary concerns... they don't "bend" easily for fit and may leave slight gaps here and there. They are heavy which may lend for your trunk lid falling on your head. The color of the silver is too dark (easy fix though). I used a can of Krylon dull aluminum. Taped them off, scuffs with some really fine paper, and shot them with the Krylon. Bolted them on, put a wooden dowel in the trunk for a make-shift prop rod, and hit the shows. Looks much better than the dented originals.
thanks for the info, rob. i should be ok on the weight, as i have a fiberglass deck lid. maybe it will be a wash...

Hi Rob Robinson, if possible please post some pics of these moldings on your car, we'll all interested to see how these actually look when installed.

Hi Rob Robinson, if possible please post some pics of these moldings on your car, we'll all interested to see how these actually look when installed.

any chance of this? i too would love to see some close up pics, of them installed...

-
Back