68 Cuda Upper ball joint removal - looking for help

-

mflynn

Reaction score
What started as a disc brake conversion on my 68 Cuda project has turned into a little more. Having a problem getting the spindle off the upper ball joint stud, and also in getting the ball joint out of the upper control arm. Is it true that the ball join is threaded into the UCA? If so, do I just need a big enough socket and breaker bar to get it out of there? And how do I get the spindle off the stud? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

To get the spindle off the stud you need a pickle fork. And the ball joint is threaded in and requires a special socket to remove it. Most of the ones I have seen and used are 3/4" drive but there are 1/2" drive ones too. They are not real common any more but NAPA does list them and can order them...Bill

I loosen the ball joint nuts. Then jack up the side of the suspension that I'm working on and put a wooden block under the upper control arm. Then go at it with a pickle fork until the ball joint separates. With the control arm "hanging" like that helps you separate the ball joints.

Yes, the upper ball joint is threaded. It may take a good cheater bar (3-4 feet) and maybe even some heat to break them loose.

BTW: The upper control arm cam bolts and nuts will also be a ***** to get out.

Thanks for the suggestions. As it turns out, a set of sandblasted and primed UPCs popped up on Craigslist, a couple of towns over. So I bought those, and will just put the new BJs in there. Still will need the tool, but I saw on another thread that a spindle nut socket may work, and only costs $10 so I'm going to get one at O'Reillys and try that for tightening the new set up. As for the spindle, I smacked the knuckle at right angle to the BJ nut and it dropped right out - on the first try! Hopefully it will be just as easy to get it onto the new BJ nut. Looking forward to taking the old UPC off - hope it's not as bad as you say!

-
Back