68 Dart 270 built to GTS

-

Cooter

Reaction score
Ok gang.

Here is the 68 Dart I picked up from a guy I know. Originally a /6 auto car. I plan on following Flyboy01's buildup of his 68 dart. Here is the story behind my buildup:

My parents were shopping for a car in 1968. Naturally my dad visits the Ford Dealership in south Seattle. He's looking at a 427 cobra. My mom steps in and asks "wheres the baby going to sit???" (my oldest sister). Scrap the Cobra plan (insert facepalm here).

Next stop, Lake City Dodge near Seattle. Hey look, a 1967 or 68 SuperBee R/T 440 4 speed. Dad cruises on out of the lot with the salesman, igniting the tires all the way down the street. My dad is sold on the car as they return from battle. Parking the car, my mom gets in and proceeds to do a "fit test" of the car, reaching for the wheel, rearview mirror, shoulder checks....BUT cannot push the clutch in. DAMMIT mom!

There's a 68 Dart GTS with a 383 auto down about 4 cars on the lot. They ended up with it. White, red rear stripes, red interior.

So that is my plan for this car. No, I won't be giving it to them (neither of them have a good place to store it and aren't the best of drivers) but sure, I'll let them take it for a spin when they visit the grand-kids.

I have a .030" over 360 '72 short-block and some J heads laying around that are allotted for this Dart. Also, its going to have a Keisler 5 speed swap in it. STILL looking for a reasonably priced 8.75 rear end in my area. I feel bad but my 73 Duster will just continue to sit in the backyard and provide shade for the dogs while this Dart gets underway. Oh, and this Dart is for my wife (how do you think I was able to get a blank check for any tool I want??). Take care of mama, and everything else falls into place.

Cooter

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

Soda Blasting:

Here we are on a somewhat breezy day out in the country. Thats Shawn my buddy with the soda-blaster. $300, breakfast, and lunch at the brewery produced a nice factory patina. It looks like it came right off the assembly line. Kinda cool.

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

Cooter

Paint removal:

Here she is back at home. You can see the passenger quarter has a weird rusty square in the corner. Must have been ground down and sat outside with bare metal since its all pock-marked. And looks like it was crumpled slightly just below that:

IMG_1249.jpg

It was still alot of work. Hot day, I had to step in and relieve Shawn on occasion. With soda flying in my face and eyes, I was surprised at how normal i felt afterwards (no dizziness, wheezing, etc.). I guess it was just plain ol' food-grade soda.

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

Cooter

nice job so far:cheers: keep the pics and updates coming, love the 67-69 darts8)

Thanks guys.

I removed a door today, nothin fancy. Was going to put on the other door i got thats mint, but declined, since the door hinges are toasted-cheese. Rebuild time.

After staring at the trunk area for a half hour drinking beer, I discovered that ALL the trunk seams in the gutter area (where the sheetmetal overlaps and is spot welded)...every seam is rusted between the spot welds. Its as if the seam sealer putty stuff held in moisture and rusted all that to hell in a handbasket. The rest of the car is rust-free (save for the classic cancer below the rear wheels).

Need some opinions here. Do I:

Cut out the gutters about 1 inch on each side of the seams and get new ones to weld in?
or
Use that stuff that locks in rust and sleep peacefully at night?

Its some strange stuff, I've never seen them rust in that area. Usually the putty crap is the only GOOD areas on my cars.

Trav

-
Back