68 Dart 4dr

-

deadly dart

Reaction score
Have the chance to buy a really nice 68 Dart that shows on the window sticker that it was a Chrysler executive assigned vehicle. It has the 273 v-8, fact a/c, works, full power, auto, 32,000 miles, original paint, vinyl top, no rust anywhere. What would this car be worth, and is there really any market for a 4 door? The car is a time capsule it is so nice. All service records with 3000 mile oil changes. ???? If I paid too much and had to sell it, would I lose my shirt? Any thoughts?

Pictures would be nice.
Buying cars as investments has always been risky.
If the car is that nice it could bring 10k+ range-- but to sell you would have to find the right buyer & circumstances-- whereas a 2 door always has a bigger market.

It is one of the premium years for the dart group, so it would be as good a candidate as any, for investment.

your spidey senses are tingling with this car. Is the value of that car there!

Good luck with your decision, Lawrence

NADA says the price range is $4300-$5800. The seller is below that, but if I buy it, then I would not have much money left in the event of an emergency.. By the way, I am on a fixed income, ergo social security. Anybody want to chip in and help an old guy? Just kidding.

The market for 4 doors is very small, they are hard to sell and when they do sell, they don't sell for much.

If you are buying a 4 door, buy it to drive and enjoy. Do not buy one as an investment.

My wife just bought a 73. She absolutely fell in love with it the minute she saw it.

She doesn't even drive the BMW wagon anymore...........

100_2024.jpg

100_2017.jpg

My thoughts, it can be a heavy weight on your shoulders to be cash poor and overburdened with cars. And they all cost money to own. Your signature says you already own three. And these days it can take a long time to sell one. You will be happier with an emergency fund, and enjoying the a-bodies you already have.

I used to own three cars, now just a 94 Camry. Lost my job when the company went belly up, then my wife was diagnosed with liver disease and has been on chemo for 3 years. We sold whatever we could but ended up going into Chapter 7 last November. I went on social security and the wife is on disability now from the illness. We are still better off than some and we count our blessings. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will just pass up this car.

you could also post the car here -- someone might be interested-- it would also go to a good home ,Lawrence

The car is not in Forida, but Georgia and if I had any photos I would gladly post them. I believe I could get my money back if the need arose, but the only one gaining anything is the guy selling it. I always appreciate the advice from all you members.

The advice you're getting is solid: it's a car, not an investment, and you would likely not be able to avoid taking a bath if you overpay. Moreover, you can easily walk right into a trap if you treat the NADA "values" as anything but hilarious comedy fiction. See here for more detailed explanation of how come that is the case.

What is the asking price on this time capsule of what would surely be a very nice driver but a poor investment?

I have also been given an opportunity to purchase a 68 2dr HT... body is in good shape..interior needs work.. has 440 long block, 727, 8 3/4 suregrip that all need assembled....3k is asking price.....plan to look next weekend....

It's a shame the 4 doors don't get as much love as they deserve. Yeah, the 2-Door hardtops look cooler, but they are hard to come by and cost more.

How many times have you heard this: "Hey, nice dart, too bad it's a 4 door." Thanks for the errr...compliment buddy...

Formula, that is one cool looking Dart. Is that plastic on the seat made to fit or did you make it yourself? When I get my seats re-upholstered, I'd like to protect them with something like that.

darn......just noticed the gas prices in your pics..... thats crazy......

-
Back