68 Dart Engine Clearance Question

-

Tacfire11

Strike Hard, Strike Deep
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to drop a 440 into my 68' Dart and was wondering if you might have any recommendations on Oil Pans. She currently has a Slant 6 and 904 Tranny. I'm getting ready to drop a 440 .30 over, and a beefed 727 in. I'm planning on using the existint K Member and Schmauker Mounts to drop the Engine in. I've read on the various threads that there are some clearance issues with the K Member, Center Link, and Idler Arms. So was wondering what are some alternatives beating the Stock pan into submission :). Would be interested to hear your opinion.

Thanks...

Pat

"Excellence is not a single act, but a habit developed over time"

I'm pretty sure your steering linkage is like my 71 Demon therefore you're going to need the oil pan out of 66-73 C-body 383-400-440 with the dent in it to clear the idler arm. The number stamped on the pan is 187 or 699 and I don't think either pan came stock with baffle plates so you''ll need to fab up a couple and weld them in. I'd also recommend that while you're working on the bottom end of that 440 install a good windage tray like Milodon's unit. :burnout:

T. Roth

Yes the "C" body pan is what I used and the notch in the pass side just clears the idler arm and drag link in a right turn.

Thanks, I love this Forum! The baffle kits you mentioned, any recommendations on a source? If not, I guess I'll have to fab up a set.

Thanks.

Pat

-
Back