68 Dart GT 10" Front & Rear brakes

-

dodgegtdart68

Reaction score
I'm a decade & 1\2 into a restoration. Lol. When originally took brakes apart I never noticed the wire in them had a spring in it. I Google it now and it shows nothing like what I have. Bewildered and not sure what to do. I'm not hooking the E-brake back up. I also noticed the new front brake shoes have a brass pin on 1 of the shoes.

The pin is for the self adjusting bar and cable, (not E brake cable), that in theory automatically turns the star wheel, and spreads the brake shoes when you brake while backing the car. When its together you can squeeze your thumb on the cable toward the shoe and see the action.
The cable (w spring) attaches to the bar, which slips on that pin. The eyelet end of the cable attaches on the top of backing plate.
It sounds more confusing than it looks. See pic.
Screenshot_20201213-225710_Google.jpg

Also, this portion from a previous 8-3/4 rear end post may help a bit...
Yes. Shoes are shoes no difference from front wheel or rear wheel applications. Dry fit them inside a drum if u need to make sure theyre not too wide for the drum surface.
Upon assembly to the backing plates, just make sure the larger, (or the shoe with more material on it) is mounted on the rear of each side.
If I remember correctly, these are called the secondary shoes, and provide most of the stopping power as they "wrap" when the brakes are activated.
screenshot_20200701-212430_google-jpg.jpg

The "wire with a spring in it" is the self-adjuster cable, but '68s didn't use the spring type, they used a straight cable. "69 and up used the cable with a spring.
'68 and earlier:
H2101_FRO__ra_p.jpg

'69 and later:
CK_H2108_Fro__ra_p.jpg

Two things come to mind;
1.) at some point, someone used a '69 and up hardware kit on your '68.
2.) Yours is a very late production '68 and they had already started switching over to the '69 components on the assembly line.
Either way works fine as long as all the components are the same vintage, and no one will know but you.

When you say, "Bewildered and not sure what to do. I'm not hooking the E-brake back up"...
Just wondering why you arent hooking up the Emergency brake?

I'm a decade & 1\2 into a restoration. Lol. When originally took brakes apart I never noticed the wire in them had a spring in it. I Google it now and it shows nothing like what I have. Bewildered and not sure what to do. I'm not hooking the E-brake back up. I also noticed the new front brake shoes have a brass pin on 1 of the shoes.

You can go with the stock 68 style set up, or I prefer to update it to the later style... Just order the spring, hardware, and shoes for a 72 duster and then you can change it to the more updated style of rear brakes...

Last edited:
Wouldn't the brass pin be a part of the self-adjusting components? - at the bottom of each rear facing shoe?
Yes it is as I just found out. I'm thinking when I ordered my new brakes I received parts of both the 69 and up and the original 68 break components.

-
Back