68 Dart GTE Project

-
@diymirage not a waste at all. Hot rodding at its finest.

Absolutely. And I must say although it's not something that I would do personally, as a still master certified Toyotee tech, I like it! I think the OP has done a fantastic job on it. Thinking outside the box for sure!

Very cool build! 2JZ + CD009 is a good combo from what I've read online. It seems like you have a similar wheel and tire combo to me as well. How low are you able to get the car with a 4" exhaust?

Very cool. Looks like the car is well sorted. What tires do you run? I have had good success in local club racing with the falken azenis rt615k on road courses. I do use them on a super light car though and have heard they get greasy on heavier cars. Also remind me what brakes you have?

I am running Bridgestone re71rs on the car they are a little expensive but I love em. Until I have another set of wheels specifically for autocross I may switch to the federal rsrrs for the street/autocross duty to save a little money. Its good to know about the Falkens I hadn't heard that about the heavier cars yet

The front brakes are 13" Viper brakes and the rear are the 11.75 discs all from Dr.Diff

Very cool build! 2JZ + CD009 is a good combo from what I've read online. It seems like you have a similar wheel and tire combo to me as well. How low are you able to get the car with a 4" exhaust?

Right now the K member is 4.75 inches off the ground and with the oval exhaust I havent hit it yet with speed bumps and such

Finally finished the big ole intercooler and had to modify the bumper a little more for clearence. After recording some data logs the average intake air temps under boost dropped 25 degrees so I would call it a win. The lag from it being a bigger core really didnt change, and I tried to make the transitions into the core as smooth as possible flow wise to keep the pressure loss down. Next big thing is the stronger coils then back to the dyno for the final power numbers....

IMG_20201021_184119.jpg
IMG_20201026_165746.jpg

Finally finished the big ole intercooler and had to modify the bumper a little more for clearence. After recording some data logs the average intake air temps under boost dropped 25 degrees so I would call it a win. The lag from it being a bigger core really didnt change, and I tried to make the transitions into the core as smooth as possible flow wise to keep the pressure loss down. Next big thing is the stronger coils then back to the dyno for the final power numbers....

View attachment 1715625895 View attachment 1715625896

It's like a split bumper RS Camaro. lol Comin along good!

I definitely have been severely lacking on the updates for the Dart but ill dump what has happened with it in the past few months:

I updated the coils to what are known as IGN-1A coils they are extremely powerful spark discharge and all I had to do was repin the ECU harness and and run another ground wire that was dedicated to the cylinder head. And I had to chop up that iconic cover that everyone knows the 2JZ for.
Coil Before.jpg
Coil After.jpg

Also after running the autocross at The FIRM up in Gainsville Fl I realized that the turbo hotside was way to big for what I was wanting to do with the car. It was real laggy coming out of corners, so I talked with the guys at Precision and we spec'd out the 62/62 with a .68A/R rear housing after realizing that the Borg Warner I had I couldn't get a tighter housing for it. With some minor modifications to the downpipe I was ready for the final power numbers.

Turbos.jpg
New Turbo.jpg

I loaded the car up and went back to Titan for the final tune and it broke the 500whp goal that I had for this motor.

Dyno Curve.jpg

And it still makes all the wrong noises from what people expect

I plan to take it to some more autocrosses to sort out the suspension but for now I have a reliable daily driveable 500hp that I even calculated was getting 23MPG on the highway during a few trips when I can keep my foot out of it

Damn...surely not what I expected and sounds some kinda different from any Mopar I've ever heard. Def hot rodding outside the box. Seen plenty of LS swaps but this is wayyyy cooler. Looks like you can rev that bad boy to almost 7000rpm. You mind if I asked how sharp a pencil you need for the bottom line cost if all the right parts are procured ahead of time? Rough estimate would be great. Thanks. Keep on keepin' on.

Great job and I bet that 2JZ knocks a 100lb off the nose compared to a SBM.

Damn...surely not what I expected and sounds some kinda different from any Mopar I've ever heard. Def hot rodding outside the box. Seen plenty of LS swaps but this is wayyyy cooler. Looks like you can rev that bad boy to almost 7000rpm. You mind if I asked how sharp a pencil you need for the bottom line cost if all the right parts are procured ahead of time? Rough estimate would be great. Thanks. Keep on keepin' on.

It definitely added up quick but realistically im probably about 15K into the swap all in with the transmission setup. For rpm the rev limiter is set to 7200 right now since I have stock valvetrain in it. If i went aftermarket springs and cams i could push it 8 or more depending on how radical I get

-
Back