68 Dart GTS resto pics

-

Cudapete

Reaction score
So I sold my 69 swinger and am finishing up my 68 GTS and thought I'd share some highlights of the resto. I found this car playing on the internet in Indiana, Its an original gts with 79,000 miles, it has the tag but no build sheet, It had the original paint on it when I bought it but had 40 years of dings, dents and scatches and a very little bit of rust to repair along the bottoms of the fenders and quarters. since the original motor is gone and Im not a big fan of red I decided to build this one the way I want it, so I painted it B-5 blue with a custom mixed dark blue metallic stripe. I also built a 416 stroker for it backed by a coan prepped trans with a 10" 3500 converter and 3.55 gears. Im no pro but I did this whole car myself in my barn and im pretty happy with how it turned out.

68 dart gts resized 2.jpg

68 dart gts resized 3.jpg

68 dart gts resized 5.jpg

68 dart gts resized 6.jpg

68 dart gts resized 7.jpg

68 dart gts resized 9.jpg

I'm feeling that throwing up sensation again...another beautiful restoration...its taking me forever. Too few hours in the day, dollars in the wallet, and brain cells in my head.

Really nice car and nice job on doing it yourself.

That looks fantastic! I`m a little biased when it comes to 68 Dart GTS`s but regardless, that`s a great job!

JohnGTS361.jpg

What size are the Cragar's?
Car looks fantastic in blue, and I like red cars!

George

I believe the wheels are 14x7 and 14x6 according to the guy I bought it from they have been on there since the 80's. The headers are hooker comp's.Though this isnt my first resto it is the first time I did everything and it was a ton of work but I really enjoyed doing it. I fired it up for the first time today with just open headers man I cant wait for it to warm up and rain to wash the salt off the roads!!!!!

Here are some more pics of the finished(for now) product. The motor makes over 450 hp the way it is but eventually with some serious head work a single plane intake and a solid lifter cam I'd like to get over 500. That plus i'd like to convert to 4.5 bolt pattern with disc brakes, new wheels and tires in 15inch, rechrome the bumpers, add caltracs and polish or replace all the stainless trim etc. I'm also toying with the idea of adding 3.91's but the stroker has so much torque that I'm thinking I dont need that much gear, well see.

68 dart gts resized 9.jpg

68 dart gts resized 10.jpg

68 dart gts resized 11.jpg

68 dart gts resized 12.jpg

68 dart gts d-side view.jpg

68 dart gts front view.jpg

Like the blue color. Seems like I've been working on mine forever.Takes time to do it right, and seems that you've done that Howard

Just painted.jpg

-
Back