68 Dart guage problems

-

csx452

Reaction score
I've been working out the electrical gremlins in my 68 Dart for a while now. I can't figure this one out though. First off is the instrument panel. The left turnsignal indicator is always on when the key is on. It will blink when I use the turn signal, but stays on when the turn signal is off. The right indicator doesn't blink at all. The signals do but the indicator doesn't light at all. The guage lights are on on the left but not on the right or center. All new bulbs have been installed. The weird problem is that the gas guage works fine until I turn on the parking lights or headlights. Then it pegs to full. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank

sounds like a short in the cluster, you may want to pull it and look at the back, to see if the copper lines are broke any place, and while you have it out look at the wiring that goes to it, for corroded, melted connections, good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the reply.
This is my second cluster. The first one had the same light problem but no guage problem. The wiring looks fine, which is puzzling. I'm wondering if there is a bad ground somewhere. I just bought an air conditioning dash over the summer. I'll have to try to find some time and swap out the wiring harness from that and see what happens.

Wrong. The problem is a poor ground feeding back current when you turn on a different circuit.

Could there actually be a missing ground? I remember finding a wire on the drivers side floor that could have been a ground. Maybe something for the steering column. I gotta get up my buddies garage and get the factory service manual and look at wiring diagrams.

-
Back