68 Dart power steering slop?

-

Sdriche

Reaction score
I have a 68 Dart that supposedly had 14k miles but the power steering seems sloppy. I can turn the wheel 1/8 turn before the box engages. Is this 'normal' travel or should the steering box engage more quickly. I have the adjustment screw as tight as it will go. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Check the coupler first before you try to do anything to the box. Also a full front end check is in order. That old and the rubber bushings are probably the slop you are feeling. Keep us posted.

I had a similar issue.
The steering box adjustment needss to be made while the engine is running.
I used this method for initial adjustment, starting at 4 minutes in to the video. Rather than dropping the center link I put the front on jackstands.

After this initial adjustment I had about 1 1/2 inch of steering wheel play measured at the wheel rim.
I put the front back on the ground And turned the screw another 1/4 turn, time for a test drive.
I continued to adjust the screw after each test drive, with engine running, ~ 1/4 turn until I now have about 1/4 inch play in steering wheel movement.
If you go to far the steering feel gets 'notchy'.
Note that with the engine off, there is a lot more play on the steering wheel.

So no play at all in the coupler. I started the car and the play seems much less with it running. The car drifting is likely not in the steering box now that i see how responsive it is while running. I didn't notice any front end play when it was on the lift but I'll recheck. Where is the cross shaft adjustment? Sorry this is my first Mopar.

Keep in mind that most of the wear on the steering box gears is in the center position, because that’s where they spend the most time. If you adjust it really tight when it’s at center, it might bind at other spots in the travel.

-
Back