68 dart SL6.

-

Patrick Salen

Reaction score
Hey out there. I have a 68 dodge dart slant six, "love this thing" mild build on it. not long after i rebuilt the motor the 40 some year old 7.1/4 rear is ready to become scap metal. I have looked into the 8.1/4 and the 8.3/4 rears, they are hard to find and i have lots of time not lots of money. So there are things to think about, I have a 8.8 out of a 97 ford exploder. Nice disc brakes 3.72 gears and traction loc. for 150.00 in my garage. It looks like the small bolt pattern the same as my hubs. could be wrong? Any way i here it is not that hard to fab this unit to fit my a body car and i have looked into this a little. I would love some feed back from the pros out there and some helpful info. Thanks patrick the dodge lover.

Patrick, the Ford Explorer uses 4.5" bolt circle, not the 5x4". I´m in the process of altering this axle for using in my Valiant. The longer axle tube must be shortened to the same length as the short one, then you can use another short drive shaft. Mine is the same, 3,73 Gears with Traction-Lok....be careful during disassembly, i read that the cross pin in the carrier can break easily and then you have a problem. I disassembled two of these, after warming up a bit the pin came out without problems.

Do a search here on the forum, one guy made nice pics of the mods and the swap. (found the link: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=89918)

Michael

Patrick, the Ford Explorer uses 4.5" bolt circle, not the 5x4". I´m in the process of altering this axle for using in my Valiant. The longer axle tube must be shortened to the same length as the short one, then you can use another short drive shaft. Mine is the same, 3,73 Gears with Traction-Lok....be careful during disassembly, i read that the cross pin in the carrier can break easily and then you have a problem. I disassembled two of these, after warming up a bit the pin came out without problems.

Do a search here on the forum, one guy made nice pics of the mods and the swap. (found the link: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=89918)

Michael
thanks for the good word, on my way to napa to get some nap gas and to just heat the carrier around the bolt. Nice my luck i would have broken the bolt off.

Hi Patrick, no problem to use the stock springs, just put your 8.8 perches in the correct location. If you remove them carefully then you should be able to reuse them.

Michael

Hi Patrick, no problem to use the stock springs, just put your 8.8 perches in the correct location. If you remove them carefully then you should be able to reuse them.

Michael
good news thanks man. bolt came right out after heating up thanks. and i will remove the 8.8 sping perches with care and move them thanks. Oh by the way how much did you cut off the long side of the axel tube? I have herd of to differnt measurments. Is it 3'' or 2 5/8s.

According to my measurements it is 75 +/- 1 mm, around 2,95 Inch that needs to be removed to center the Housing so i ´m able to use another short side shaft.

Michael

-
Back