'68 Dodge Dart: Two openings in trans tunnel 4-speed manual

Manual Transmission & Clutch Discussions

1. 69_340_GTS

69_340_GTS Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:25 PM
    It's a boot for the console-automatic linkage. It isn't in the correct location and it's mounted on the 4-speed hump, which automatic cars do not have, so it obviously wasn't used for that. Who knows after 50+ years... anything can happen. It would be a totally stupid place to run tach wires, and the hole didn't need to be that big for wiring anyway, IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • 4spdragtop

4spdragtop CONGRATS NORTH AMERICA! FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      1:25 PM
      Heres what I found when I looked in the 68 parts book. #2660387?? Might be part # for auto trans shaft.Ref #19-48-44.
      FWIW, our 67 cuda with factory tach has wiring that goes thru firewall with a grommet. But ours has the factory rally dash. Your wiring I believe goes thru firewall, under carpet and console and connect to console mounted tach.
      That boots for auto trans shaft.

20210113_130957.jpg

20210113_131957.jpg

• Peini

Peini Member

Local Time:
      8:25 PM
      Thanks a lot. It is as 69_340_GTS said: boot is from the automatic but in this car in the wrong place and was obviously used for something different. Maybe i will figure it out when removing my trans and/or the carpet. It mean time i just leave it be.

Thank you all for your help!!!

• Like Like x 1
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.