'68 Dodge Dart: Two openings in trans tunnel 4-speed manual

-
It's a boot for the console-automatic linkage. It isn't in the correct location and it's mounted on the 4-speed hump, which automatic cars do not have, so it obviously wasn't used for that. Who knows after 50+ years... anything can happen. It would be a totally stupid place to run tach wires, and the hole didn't need to be that big for wiring anyway, IMHO.

Heres what I found when I looked in the 68 parts book. #2660387?? Might be part # for auto trans shaft.Ref #19-48-44.
FWIW, our 67 cuda with factory tach has wiring that goes thru firewall with a grommet. But ours has the factory rally dash. Your wiring I believe goes thru firewall, under carpet and console and connect to console mounted tach.
That boots for auto trans shaft.

20210113_130957.jpg

20210113_131957.jpg

Heres what I found when I looked in the 68 parts book. #2660387?? Might be part # for auto trans shaft.Ref #19-48-44.
FWIW, our 67 cuda with factory tach has wiring that goes thru firewall with a grommet. But ours has the factory rally dash. Your wiring I believe goes thru firewall, under carpet and console and connect to console mounted tach.
That boots for auto trans shaft.

View attachment 1715669468

View attachment 1715669469

Thanks a lot. It is as 69_340_GTS said: boot is from the automatic but in this car in the wrong place and was obviously used for something different. Maybe i will figure it out when removing my trans and/or the carpet. It mean time i just leave it be.

Thank you all for your help!!!

-
Back