68' Floor Pan Question

-

Tacfire11

Strike Hard, Strike Deep
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just pulled the seats and carpets out of the 68'. I've been worried all Winter, of what I might find. It looks ok, but since I'm not really sure of all the trouble spots to look for, figured I'd come to the experts. Does anyone see anything that jumps out that could potentially be a problem.

Psg_Front.jpg

Drv_Floor3.jpg

Drv_Floor.jpg

Yeah, I know the tool, what was I thinking :)
Me_Working1.jpg

i'm jealous ;-) looks good to me I just did the same, i did find a couple pin holes, but there was a bunch of surface rust as well. yours looks as if it does not even understand the meaning of the word rust.

how do they look from underneath?

For the most part the factory undercoating is still in tact, from what I can see. As soon as I get the frame connectors and torque boxes welded in I'm going to refresh the undercoating. Someone gave made a suggestion to me, and it seems like a good idea. They say some guys are using Pickup Truck bed liner as an undercoating. Spray it on, and it last forever. What do you guys think?

stuff like rhino liner? dunno about using it as undercoating but I would not see why not. I am planning to use it to coat my floor and especially the trunk floor.

The only problem I see is all of us out here that are crying 'cause that floor looks so SWEET!! not like my Flinstone's mobile :lol:

Right at the top of the hump I see some discolouration along the the seam sealer. Is that rust? Rust can grow UNDER the seam sealer. If you see any rust along the edges of seam sealer anywhere, I'd scrap off the sealer and check.

I don't like the idea of bedliner or Herculiner because it's TOO tough. Same as undercoating, moisture can get under it if it's not sticking for some reason then it has the opposite effect of what you're trying to accomplish. The moisture is trapped and will cause degradation. Plus, I don't think it looks right on a vintage car.

You want to stop any rust that is there now and you want to prevent any new rust from appearing should moisture get under your carpet in the future. Is bedliner the right choice?

I prefer cleaning off the metal and then applying some good paint, whether it be epoxy primer with paint on top, Master Series, Por-15 or whatever. Something that you can sand and deal with in the future should you need to. bedliner will be like an undercoating that you might regret is on there down the road. That's just my opinion.

I dont see anything wrong with it at all. Throw some carpet in and your done. If you see any surface rust, hit it with a wire brisk, spray some rust Encapsulator (Eastwood) on it and you are done.

Thanks for all your help Guys! :toothy7: I'll check all those seams, and then get ready to prime and lay down the new carpet. When you lay the carpet, do you recommend Carpet Tape (you know the double sided stuff), or just let the carpet float?

This site Rocks!

:burnout:

-
Back