68 tail lights

-

MTmopars

Reaction score
I finally have the wiring close enough to done to put in the battery and wanted to know if this is what the tail lights should look like lit up?...

Attachments

• 20140604_180356.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 103
In short no they shouldn't look like that. May be missing the inner housing that separates the
Reverse and brake/turn lamp the outside lense is the reverse lamp. Or The wiring
is wrong. Or you have the car in reverse and the lights on

Really? Only tails were on. I have reproduction housing and lenses but I took the inner red lenses out of the original housings. I didn't see anything solid to separate the light. What am I missing?

Looks like your tail lights and reverse lights are on at the same time? I get a little bleed over from the tail light (center red part) into the white (reverse) but it isn't anything like that.

So what should be inside the bezel to keep the light from bleeding over? All that is in mine is this...

Attachments

• 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Right Side Center Tail Light Lens.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 115
This is the only other picture I could find on the net. Looks similar ro mine. I wonder if my camera makes the white area brighter than it really is.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 102
That piece you have shown needs to be painted silver. That would block the bleed over. I thought there was a piece inside the housing it's just been a long time since I've been inside a 68' tail light.

Does anyone have a picture? The inner lenses on mine were never painted. They a are original.

Could you snap a pic with just the reverse lights on? And maybe one of the inner piece
In the housing without the lens

The inner pieces look just like what I posted earlier. I really don't feel like tearing apart the whole dang thing unless I have to. I did go back over and pull the reverse light bulbs out to no change. My camera really makes it look brighter than they actually are. This is best shot I could get...

Attachments

• 20140604_203516.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 94
They look a little better in the second pic, I'm sure someone will have some pics to show
to help you out.

The inner red lens is not painted. The color does go through them and through the white. It may be your camera or the quality of the reproduction lenses that makes things look funny.

-
Back