68 Val, time for new tires and maybe wheels.....

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Hey All,

My car is a 68 Val. I just upgraded from 14 in. sbp, drums on all 4 corners to large bolt pattern. I changed to large bolt pattern 8.75 rear with stock spring placement and large bolt pattern front discs with a 73 up sway bar.

The car originally had 245-60-14 rears and 205-70-14 fronts all on rally wheels.

Now that I have the large bolt set up I need to put some new shoes on. In my reading it seems like 245 is about as much as I can stuff under it in the rear, and 225 up front. is this correct?

I have an assortment of 15 in steel rims to choose from in both the stock and police variety. i haven't measured the width yet, but I'm guessing they are all 6 or 7 in.

I want to set the car up for handling (as best I can) not the straight line stuff.

Also I am not adverse to a set of spring offset hangers if it would help me stuff a few more mm of tire under there.

Thanks for any recommendations!

CE

Oh, and I do want to go with steel wheels for now. Would I need to go 8 in on the rears? I saw that someowas making an 8 in steelie for the mopars, but I cannot remember who.

If your setting your car up for any kind of performance cornering, ditch the 15" and go 17". People quit developing compounds and support for 14/15's long ago.. The tire technology is leaps and bounds better in all season, not to mention the summer compounds. I personally fought tooth and nail to keep the smaller rim, but it didn't pencil out. For the same price, you can get so much more in a larger wheel.

17x8" craigslist Mustang wheels wrapped in BFG comp-2 A/S in 245/45r17 fit real well, ride is phenomenal! I can take a roundabout at 45mph. People stop and stare in a trance. ;)

Last edited:
I agree with Woods74, especially if you want to set it up for handling. I got 225/40/17 on a 8" wide up front and I managed to stuff 275/40/17 on a 9" wide in the back.

49A9BADE-C937-4380-B08A-39F7029A20EA_zpsfc5yevjo.jpg

Interesting. I love the look of the steelies, but I am going for handling too. I just assumed I could do that with steel wheels. But I guess it makes sense that a shorter sidewall, less flex, better tire choices, etc, etc..........

I agree with Woods74, especially if you want to set it up for handling. I got 225/40/17 on a 8" wide up front and I managed to stuff 275/40/17 on a 9" wide in the back.

Did you have to move your springs at all? I'd love to stuff some 275's under my car. Mopowers was able to do it with his car as well. What wheels are those, and do you know your back spacings for front and rear? Oh and what wheels are those? Love 'em.

Thanks,

Chris E.

Last edited:
Did you have to move your springs at all? I'd love to stuff some 275's under my car. Mopowers was able to do it with his car as well. What wheels are those, and do you know your back spacings for front and rear? Oh and what wheels are those? Love 'em.

Thanks,

Chris E.

Nope, I didn't move he springs at all. The fronts are 17x8 with 0 offset. The rears are 17x9 with 33 offset. The fronts are a pretty standard 4.5" backspace and fitment, the rear is where I got real out there with the way I did it. 33 offset in 9" is 6.3" of backspacing, what car fits that I have no idea but it worked for what I did, on top of the 6.3" BS I have 1.5" wheel adapters so that brings the effective BS down to 4.8". It took a lot of measuring and a little luck to get this fitment. I figure once I get my B-body 8-3/4 set up I'll be able to run the same wheels and tires by just removing the wheel adapters and run the axles full b-body length. The full length b-body axle idea I stole from @72bluNblu, he's the real guru when it comes to wheel fitment and suspension setup.

Keep in mind, 67-69 Valiants may have a slightly different size wheel well than 67-69 Darts or post-69 valiants. Just a thought. Time to take the ol tape measure out.

One of my Valiants has 225 60 15 cooper ultra touring tire on some cop wheels, the tires are a great choice for a daily driver and a with good suspension set up you can go fast enough on the street to scare most passengers in the corners.

One of my Valiants has 225 60 15 cooper ultra touring tire on some cop wheels, the tires are a great choice for a daily driver and a with good suspension set up you can go fast enough on the street to scare most passengers in the corners.
Are those cop wheels 7 or 8 in?

On the front they may rub a bit with that wheel and offset but you can usually move the fenders around enough for them to fit.

Keep in mind, 67-69 Valiants may have a slightly different size wheel well than 67-69 Darts or post-69 valiants. Just a thought. Time to take the ol tape measure out.

The wheel tub is basically the same. The wheel openings are higher than the Dart counterpart, so you have more leeway with the section width because the quarter lip is higher. You can run the same wheels as on a Dart, maybe one size wider depending on the final ride height.

Forget 15s, the tires are hockey pucks. 17s are problematic on later model disc brake setups with tie rod interference issues, depending on wheel choice (many go with mustang rims). 18" wheels/tires offer the most choices for fitment but are, as they say, not everyone's "cup of tea".
I roll on 255/40x18 back and 245/40x18 front on my '67 and love em

pauly what width wheel are you running in the front? 18x8 or 18x9?

Forget 15s, the tires are hockey pucks. 17s are problematic on later model disc brake setups with tie rod interference issues, depending on wheel choice (many go with mustang rims). 18" wheels/tires offer the most choices for fitment but are, as they say, not everyone's "cup of tea".
I roll on 255/40x18 back and 245/40x18 front on my '67 and love em

Would love to see some pics of your car. Do you have any to share? Same question as lee g too, what widths on the front and rear?

Holy cow, those things do fill up the wheel wells. I like that you have the same wdith rims all around.

I thought backspace and offset were the same thing. Is this not so? You mentioned 6.25 backspace and +35 offset.

Also what is XXR 535?

Loving that combo, and thank you for the pics.

Oh, do you have any trouble with rubbing?

Best, CE

I've seen Pauly's car in person and I think he nailed the stance and look. Absolutely love his car. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

-
Back