68`Valiant 2dr post Windsheild replacement

-
D

Deleted member 550

Ok....here we go...Just got done reading the 67` post thread, and got goosebumps. Man I hope my 68` front and rear gaskets are available. What a nightmare for the other guy. Will a standard trim tool safely remove the stainless trim from my gaskets, or should I be looking for something else? I need to remove all the glass, trim, headliner etc for my bodyman. (saving some $) Windsheild is broken, but the rear is good. (like to keep it that way) Any tips, suggestions, fwi`s most appreciated.

KD2038_14101.gif

KD tools 2038

Slide the hooks under the chrome and slip it along the chrome until you find a clip. then apply a bit of pressure on the clip to pop the chrome off of it, repeat about 20x around the windshield. Try to keep it flat to the glass so you don't snag the edges of the glass and crack it.

OH, BTW, welcome to FABO!

I picked up one of these today. Just to clarify, i put it between the molding and the rubber not the rubber and the glass right? And i need to pull up on the tool but not twist it? Just want to be sure i understand the procedure so i don't break any glass. Thanks for the help.

I picked up one of these today. Just to clarify, i put it between the molding and the rubber not the rubber and the glass right? And i need to pull up on the tool but not twist it? Just want to be sure i understand the procedure so i don't break any glass. Thanks for the help.

no, between moulding and glass. tool lies flat on glass and inserts under moulding. when you get hooked on the clip, lightly pull away from the body until the moulding releases. since the front is already busted do it first for a good sense of feel and procedure. good luck!

likewise, welcome to FABO!

For some reason i'm still having problems with this. If go between the glass and the rubber i'd have to cut through the rubber to get to the clips. I planned on replacing the gasket but that doesn't seem right. The clips are supposed to stay on the car and the molding pops off of the clips right?

i think i misunderstood your previous post and for that i apologize. it goes between rubber and moulding, as you said. the clip tabs should be pulled inward (towards center of glass) to release.
hope i didn't screw things up for you.

No worries Pauly, i knew the gasket was going to need replacing anyway. I was mostly worried about not screwing up the trim and glass. I got most of it off after fighting with it several times. I finally figured it out this morning and now the explanation given above makes perfect sense. I guess it was just hard to picture it until i figured out how the clips work and now it's clear how simple it is.

For those of you trying to figure this out i will attach some pictures so hopefully it's easier to understand. First off, the molding removal tool ( KD 2038 ) is essential. I suppose you could make a similar tool but they are cheap and easy to get (got mine at Napa). The tool goes between the molding and the rubber and is slid around until a clip is found. I used a plastic putty knife to pry the trim up slightly so i could see the clips. There was a lot of sealant on mine so it was hard to find them just by feel. Once you get to a clip, you need to hook the edge of it with the tool and rotate the tool to release the molding. The tool has to be held at a slight angle to get to the right spot on the clip. This may take a few tries before you get a good grip on it. I used the putty knife to wedge under the molding for a little upward pressure, but i had to be careful not to bend it. Once you get one off its a lot easier to get the rest. I also found that it helped to remove the old vinyl top material from the other side of the molding to give myself a little more room to pop the molding off.

DSC05629.jpg

DSC05631.jpg

I'm confused. This tool and method of removal only applies to 1968 and newer windshields? Or do I need this tool for my 1967 as well? From the board it sounds like I should just remove my (damaged) windshield gasket and replace it with the gASKET AND TRIMSTRIP FROM A 68 or newer but I am confused on the steps to take, and the parts I need. Can someone point me to a thread where this is explained?

-
Back