'68 Valiant power steering gearbox leaking-Seal replacement?

-

gossame1

Reaction score
Hello again Gang,

Here's another dilemma for me. As everybody knows on the board, I have a '68 Valiant. A few weeks ago, I had to have new wheel cylinders installed. The technician happened to notice that the power steering gearbox was seeping fluid. I asked him what it would cost to have the steering gearbox replaced and he said not too cheap. I had the power steering pump replaced last year after I purchased the car. The power steering pump blew out while I was on the way to the DMV to transfer title to my name. I heard from a cousin of mine that restores old Mopars in Florida in his spare time that the seals can be replaced, but I was wondering how expensive a job would that be. Anyone on the board ever have to do this repair? The technician recommended using Lucas Power Steering Stop leak as a possible remedy, but I am not sure how long that would hold up. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as usual. Thanks again for all of your help and advice so far. I look foreward to be hearing from the group soon.

Sincerely yours,

Brian T. Carotenuto

Did you buy your replacement pump from a parts store, if so it should be under warrenty, they usually have at least a one year replacement on them. I have replaced the seals in mine, where is it leaking from?

:twisted: I have had 3 power steering pumps on my 73 Duster. The first two both failed. The bearing in the first pump was bad. I noticed that when I was putting the belt on. I took it back and they replaced it. After I put the second pump on, I noticed a pool of fluid under the car. I thought I did not have the return line tight. I check it out and fluid was leaking out of the front seal. I went over to the box of goodies left over when I bought the engine from Wildcat and there was the old pump. I cleaned it up and painted it. I installed it and shazzam, no more leaks. I took the rebuilt pump back to the parts house and they refunded my money. I guess Mopar build good pumps. :?: I cannot answer you question about rebuilding the P/S box. I had one installed in my 68 Dart a few year back and I think it cost me $120. Ouch! I have also heard you can rebuild the box in the car. Anyone know about this? :?:

It's not that hard to replace the seal on the pitman arm, but you probably need to look at all of the seals in the box. Autozone sells em rebuilt for I think last time I checked $129. Thats not bad as long as its a good unit.
It would be up to your mechanic to tell you how much HE would charge, but my guess is he will charge quite a bit. Thats why when you have older cars like ours it really pays to do the work yourself.
I don't know how much he charged you to put on the brake cylinders :evil: but I know I just bought them for 9.99, and payed zero to have them installed. :D :!:

Part of the fun is getting in there and doing for yourself. You learn as you go and get a great sense of accomplishment as well. Unless this is your daily driver and absoloutly need this car fixed, grab a wrench and dig in!

I replaced the box in my car a year ago,i paid $150 from a local parts store.I have found over the years replacing the pitman arm seal isn't that hard but they ususally start leaking again because what happens is the shaft wears where it rides on the seal and even with a new seal it will still leak.The same goes for steering pumps,ran across that a few times also.So if it were mine i buy a new box,your Valiant is over 35 years old that's alot of wear and tear.Just my 2cents. :D

-
Back