68 vs 69 Barracuda Seat Interchange Question.

-

TimS

Reaction score
My 68 Fastback came with and still has its original bench seat with fold down arm rest in the center but no head rests. Feeling across the top of the seat I can't feel any revision areas to install them so I assume I would need to replace the seat to add the headrest option. Is this true?

Would 69 bucket or bench fit this 68. I've had both a 68 and 69 Fastback and it would seem the 69 interior room is larger. Could be my imagination.

Thanks !!

67-69 seats all interchange, they have the same floor and seat tracks. However, the 67 seat is completely different, having a hard back and metal trim around the bottom. They all will fit tho.

My 69 is an early no build ( no head rests). When I redid them I notices the frames had the holes for them. Take the seat out and the back off and see up into the frame/Id bet the holes are in the top of the frame. It was an option in 68 I doubt there was two bucket seat frames.

Todd has a 67 with headrests the frames are different. We were going to put the head rests on his mint seats and we will have to use the frames.

Do a search on here, headrests are different between the years, as well as bench vs bucket. More than just poking 2 holes in fabric.

Does make sense the front bench would have the previsions for headrests instead of having 2 different style frames.

From previous projects I know the 68/9 headrests are the same.

My 69 "S" had no headrests, but the bucket frames were prepped for them.

IMGP1432.JPG

IMGP1502.JPG

Theres more to headrests then the 2 holes, there are brackets down from top of seat to stabilize/sturdy the headrests.
Frames look good, what is the "burlap" looking material called? I need to replace some. :BangHead:
You are correct! There are some plastic receiver sleeves that go below there and mount into the frame, as well some flat spring type locking clips for a lack of a better description. Sorry no resto pics of that area.
The frames had all the mounting for every piece required, and I even purchased a set of very nice "Expensive" used head rests in B5 Bright blue and the rebuild kits with trim plates. Decided late not to use them and stay true to the cars origin.

The Burlap can be purchased in kit form from Legendary/Classic and many more. Bulk burlap is easily found at Hobby Lobby and other fabric stores. The paper coated tie wires come in the previously mentioned kits.

The small support wires woven into the burlap in my case, are almost all original but for a few, I used steel wire from those little marking flags used to mark underground utilities to replace the bad ones. Most
of which were in the lower seat.

My wife donated a few packs of needles on her sewing machine to stich it back as original :) !

You are correct! There are some plastic receiver sleeves that go below there and mount into the frame, as well some flat spring type locking clips for a lack of a better description. Sorry no resto pics of that area.
The frames had all the mounting for every piece required, and I even purchased a set of very nice "Expensive" used head rests in B5 Bright blue and the rebuild kits with trim plates. Decided late not to use them and stay true to the cars origin.

The Burlap can be purchased in kit form from Legendary/Classic and many more. Bulk burlap is easily found at Hobby Lobby and other fabric stores. The paper coated tie wires come in the previously mentioned kits.

The small support wires woven into the burlap in my case, are almost all original but for a few, I used steel wire from those little marking flags used to mark underground utilities to replace the bad ones. Most
of which were in the lower seat.

My wife donated a few packs of needles on her sewing machine to stich it back as original :) !
Your car have a bench seat in blue?

Your car have a bench seat in blue?
No, All 383S came with Buckets and Console. Like mentioned previously 68/69 are all interchangeable.

Bucket to Bench not the same. The floor pans will accommodate if the structure is added. Like asked, Yes 68/69 are all compatible.

Last edited:
No, All 383S came with Buckets and Console. Like mentioned previously 68/69 are all interchangeable.

Bucket to Bench not the same. The floor pans will accommodate if the structure is added. Like asked, Yes 68/69 are all compatible.
Interested in more detail about about your comment, "... All 383S came with Buckets and Console...". Was that the same for 340S's was is in the S package? What about the 'Cuda package That MUST be a 69 only thing b/c in 68 it was the wild west. The only ALL with seats was all verts (S and non S) came with buckets...

Interested in more detail about about your comment, "... All 383S came with Buckets and Console...". Was that the same for 340S's was is in the S package? What about the 'Cuda package That MUST be a 69 only thing b/c in 68 it was the wild west. The only ALL with seats was all verts (S and non S) came with buckets...
On a 69 dart GT or GTS hardtop the standard front seats were buckets with the console an upcharge if desired. On a GT or GTS convertible the standard front seats were a split bench with buckets being a upcharge as well as a console if desired. Go figure??

On a 69 dart GT or GTS hardtop the standard front seats were buckets with the console an upcharge if desired. On a GT or GTS convertible the standard front seats were a split bench with buckets being a upcharge as well as a console if desired. Go figure??
Ahhh. I bet the difference is I was thinking Plymouth Barracuda and maybe you are speaking Dodge Dart. I know the marketing teams were in different buildings and actually we're competing with each other as much as they were with Ford and GM

Ahhh. I bet the difference is I was thinking Plymouth Barracuda and maybe you are speaking Dodge Dart. I know the marketing teams were in different buildings and actually we're competing with each other as much as they were with Ford and GM
Yes 100% speaking dodge dart 1969 to be specific. Both did funny things at different times.

-
Back