69 340 engine painting questions

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
Hi fella's. Moving along on my 69 Dart resto, I need to paint the engine. I'm doing a factory resto on this heap so I want to paint it the way the factory did.

Was the oil and temp sending units installed at time of paint?
Harmonic balancer?
Automatic kickdown linkage?
Distributor and hold down clamp?
Oil pan drain plug?
Power steering pump brackets?
Plug wire seperators on the valve covers?
How about the 3 bolts that hold the triangle alternator bracket to the H2O pump?
There are 2 areas on the block that have number stamps. Were these painted THEN stamped, left unpainted, stamped then painted over?

Any other advice you can offer? Things to paint, not paint, paint black, leave natural?

Thanks in advance for all the help so far with this car. I would never have gotten as far as I have without all the help from FABO members. Thanks guys.

George
69 Dart 340 Swinger
727 auto, P/S, PB

Was the oil and temp sending units installed at time of paint? NO
Harmonic balancer? Yes
Automatic kickdown linkage? no
Distributor and hold down clamp? no
Oil pan drain plug? yes
Power steering pump brackets? no
Plug wire seperators on the valve covers? yes
How about the 3 bolts that hold the triangle alternator bracket to the H2O pump? no
There are 2 areas on the block that have number stamps. Were these painted THEN stamped, left unpainted, stamped then painted over? painted over

Any other advice you can offer? Things to paint, not paint, paint black, leave natural?

Exhuast manifolds, PCV valve, valve cover grommets and the water pump by pass hose were painted with the motor. Also the neg battery cable was bolted up to the motor and would have over spray on the end attached to the head.

I believe that Turquoise is the correct color for 69 340s, Some tend to disagree and feel Hemi orange is correct.

69 340

These sites may have some stuff info for you also

http://www.71sg.com/detail-restoration.html

http://www.mmcdetroit.com/ICCA/References/Engine_Compartment/

077s.jpg

Awesome reply Adam, thanks!
I forgot about the neg battery cable.

When I used paint stripper on the original engine, there is just TOO much turquoise on every part to argue for orange. I bought the turq paint already and should be painting it on the stand tomorrow.

Stop by if you get a free minute.

George

Thanks for the links Adam, and thanks for the TSB Alaskan.
Would any of the aforementioned be different for an LA built vehicle, or was the engine prepped/painted the same regardless of the car's assembly plant?
Thanks in advance,
George

It must be that the process for different plants at different times varied as I have an all 55,000 mile all original 69 340 Formula S built in Hamtramck on 2/22/69 and the cable where it attaches to the block is painted.

-
Back