69 340-S emblem questions

-
I am thinking i will just put the 340-S emblems on the fenders, or fill the holes altogether and mount em on the dart sport scoop. Or i could put put the 340S emblems on the fenders, and the 69 side stripe without the 340 callouts in the stripe. Like the stripe kit offered by phoenix graphics shown on a 68 fastback in pic below.

I have seen 69 318 cars with this wide tape stripe and no callouts in it. Probably a dealer install thing to "move the iron" off the lots. Maybe a spring special. Stripes and cragar S/S wheels ?

I honestly had no idea why they would punch different holes for the fish and the 340 emblems. Common sense would have been to make em both fit the same holes, but what do i know 50 years after the fact.

For now i think i am going to send the 69 fender fish repops back to Laysons and have Rick send me a pair i need for my 67 unless somebody is interested in some really nice repop 69 fender fish.

View attachment 1715324205

View attachment 1715324207

Hey Matt,
Just to muddle the waters more, Ive been watching this one for awhile:
1969 Barracuda Formula S | eBay

I know it not completely original as some things have been changed on it, but from my decoding and it has a Galen report that it came with the black side stripe and has 340-S fender emblems. They could have been added, but they could be original. Maybe it was just the true "S" cars that had the 340-S fender emblem along with the stripe. As someone said, in '68 a 340 was automatically a Formula S, but in '69, there were 3 different options with the 340. Then again, it looks like it has the Pentastar on the bottom of both fenders. I thought they were just usually on the passenger fender bottom, but have been wrong one or two (million) times in my life.

Dan

That does look pretty good with both sets of call outs and emblems on it I'm sure somebody added that left-side pentastar since I don't believe any of them came that way with it on both sides. as far as the stripe goes there was a picture in this thread from a brochure that showed the 340 badging and the 340 decal now that may have been a pre-production test mule from 1968 and they obviously made changes after that

That does look pretty good with both sets of call outs and emblems on it I'm sure somebody added that left-side pentastar since I don't believe any of them came that way with it on both sides. as far as the stripe goes there was a picture in this thread from a brochure that showed the 340 badging and the 340 decal now that may have been a pre-production test mule from 1968 and they obviously made changes after that

Yep, I have that brochure and made it into a PPT presentation, so I could make copies and write/highlight on pages as well as magnify images if I could, to get a better look at a certain area.

I've been slowly making a set of references in binders to have as much information as I could. I printed out 2 copies of the '69 Plymouth Service Manual (982 pages each) and so far am almost done with putting one of the copies, page by page in page protectors for 2 reasons: 1) to keep greasy fingers off the paper and 2) a dry erase or grease pencil set can be used on the plastic to write on, highlight or whatever and then erased off if needed. I also printed out the '69 barracuda collision parts book on cardstock and put in there. So far, I've got a 4" binder and may have to switch to a 5" or start putting the other references in another binder. Very, very time consuming, but hopefully it'll be worth it.

I didn't think so on the Pentastars, but I'm no expert.

I have a 69 barracuda i intend to make into sort of a 340-S clone. I have seen pix of 69 340-S cars with the emblem under the barracuda script on the fender. Now if the wide vinyl body side tape stripe is used on a 340S car with the 340 callouts in the stripe, are there still chrome 340-S emblems on the fenders along with the stripe, or did they put the fish on those fenders of the cars that got the stripe? I ask because it seems redundant to have the 340 badging and a stripe with 340 call outs on it.

So all you 340 barracuda experts out there what is correct for a 340 S car with body side stripes? A fender fishy, or a second chrome 340 emblem?

Thanks
Matt

You either got the 340s or 383 under the barracuda emblem or the stripe. Not both! My 69 has the emblem and the broadcast states stripe delete!

Thats what i am finding out. Being its a tribute car. I will prob go with the 340-S emblems, and tape stripe with no call outs on it. Its an original base model 318 car so its not really a super big dealio, was curious how they were done.

Last edited:
-
Back