69 383 Camper special motor. Info needed

-

Max Max Wedge

Reaction score
I have the chance to get a 100,000 mile 69 383 out of a camper special truck. One owner, he had hardened seats put in the heads @ 18 years ago other than that the short block is virgin. Could this motor have a steel crank & 906 heads being original to the truck? I know anything is possible but what is the standard 1969 Dodge Camper Special truck packing? I might be going the big block route in the Swinger.

I have the chance to get a 100,000 mile 69 383 out of a camper special truck. One owner, he had hardened seats put in the heads @ 18 years ago other than that the short block is virgin. Could this motor have a steel crank & 906 heads being original to the truck? I know anything is possible but what is the standard 1969 Dodge Camper Special truck packing? I might be going the big block route in the Swinger.

Yea, probably 906 heads if they're original but to be sure lift both tappet covers and look for the casting number, someone could have changed them. If it's a 69 it should have a steel crank but there was a short run of 383's in 71 that had cast cranks shortly before they replaced them with the 400. How wide is the outer ring on the crankshaft vibration dampener or check out this link. The 440/400/383 use the same dampener and the thin one is for the forged cranks.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/22.html

Terry

I picked up the motor this weekend and tore it down. It does have 906 heads that had hardened seats installed @ 1985. The short block is virgin. I am going to put it in and mock everything up headers, hyd. clutch etc.

-
Back