69/70 Challenger A230 in 95 Dakota Shifter Question

-

95dakotadude

Reaction score
Hi there,

Some of you may know me for my dakota build. It's been done, it's been driving relatively good. Of course there have been some issues, and this is the last one I'm hoping to accomplish this weekend. The shifter I have is very worn out and sloppy. It's a stock setup from an old A-body (I think) floor shifter. I was thinking about buying a Hurst 3 speed Body (no linkages, shifter, etc. just the "box). Would I be able to use the linkage I already have?

I've heard that the shifter I have could be a hurst. Is this true? I don't think I've ever seen any Hurst markings on it.

I realize I'll have to do something with the shifter to make it acceptable for the hurst body.

What I have now:
Screenshot - bedd9644bbd7c7273722776791362a7d - Gyazo

What I'm thinking of buying:
Screenshot - d9aef23a9968b7f0a81c60e9535f66ce - Gyazo

Thanks,
Karl G.

The OE 3-speed shifter units were made by Inland.

The OE 3-speed shifter units were made by Inland.
Thanks! Hopefully someone will know if I can use the stock linkage. I'm only asking because the hurst is supposed to have a shorter throw. Would it need shorter linkage then to fully engage the gears then? On the other hand, having shorter linkage would make people do some rather significant modifications to their shifter mount, probably.

I had an inland shifter on an early a-body 4spd, once. Completely unimpressed. Kind of a cool looking chrome handle, but it felt very vague and nebulous. I would never have one again, originality be damned.

I was looking up inland shifters and they all seem to have a reverse lockout pull up triggers (or whatever they're called). My shifter doesn't have that. Otherwise my shifter looks pretty similar. Did some inlands not have a reverse lockout?

Here is a pic of the shifter:
hCUqXlK.jpg

Last edited:
For those of you who are wondering: I bought a hurst shifter for an A-body. It was a direct swap. The only thing you have to do it make some bushings for where the linkage attached to the shifter mech.

-
Back