69 A56 340 'Cuda 4 speed

-

pa karp

Reaction score
I am sure a lot of you have read the "Welcome" forum on the pursuit of my 'Cuda that I purchase new in 1969. I was able to find and purchase the car and have started on the rebuild/restoration of the car.

I thought I would start a new thread in the restoration forum as to the progress of getting the car on the road again. That may happen yet this year, but next summer is probably reality.

My engine builder just called, the #'s matching block is good! He has bored it .60 and ordered the correct forged pistons. The rods are good, just need to be resized. The heads are good, just need to be rebuilt. Intakes is good and I have sent the AVS off to be rebuilt

I have ordered a Chet Herbert (Doug) cam and kit that is very close to what came in a 68 340 with a 4 speed. That cam was hotter then what came in the 69. It should be a very good street cam.

I have found most of the parts that I need to put the car together. I still need some parts, fan shroud, clutch fork and windshield washer reservoir come to mind.

I tried to post some current photos of the engine before I pulled it, for some reason they would not load. I will try again later.

Pa karp

Subscribed!
Try copying the image code and pasting directly into your text box if you've saved them to an online source.

Pa, I have a spare 69 340 Cuda clutch fork. From my 69 340 Cuda.
Tom

Great! Tell me about your cam. I am running the 2899205 68 340 cam in mine.
Tom

I have ordered a Chet Herbert (Doug) cam that is very close to the 68 cam specs. It should work well with a 4 speed.

The part number for the cam kit is HERCLE3N. The Chet Herbert part # was E3N-F/T HYD CAM.

Pa karp

Parts are starting to show up. I have been working on the brakes, replaced the front drums and one wheel cylinder. Next project is to pressure wash the engine compartment. If it looks good enough, going to leave it "as is".

I am more and more leaning toward doing the car as a "survivor" and leaving the cosmetic stuff pretty much alone. The emphasis is going to be on the mechanical, everything there that needs to be done for a good and safe ride will be done.

The transmission is going to be looked at. If it does not have the upgraded synchros in it, going to up grade and put new bearings in it also.

We progress!:D

Pa karp

Curt, need some pictures as you get things done. Sounds like you're moving rite along!

I read the story in the other thread. BB-Dave thank you for letting that car go, I know it was not easy, but you bring a lot of joy to that original owner. I am sure you guys are friends for life....

Just waiting for the cam, everything else is done for the engine. Cam should be here this week, then the engine will go together.

The engine will consist of the original block, crank, rods, heads, intake, carb and exhaust manifolds. The compression ratio will be at about 9.1 so the motor will live on 91 octane gas. The motor will be blue printed and balance.

There is a good exhaust shop here in Pierre that will build out the rest of the exhaust. I will keep the original exhaust tips.

Trans is being check out. Brakes are done. Shocks look ok, no leaks. I may replace some of the tie rod ends as the rubber boots are not in good shape. They did take grease and are tight

We are getting there! I still need some parts, but close on those.

Pa karp

Attachments

• IMG_0347 (800x600).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_0349 (800x600).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_0348 (800x600).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_0350 (800x600).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 503
Curt, this thread and the whole story is absolutely amazing! Subscribed, and keep up the great work! Very inspirational!

Original "survivor" paint as it came from the factory. I am going to drive it this way for awhile.

Pa karp

Attachments

• cuda 2 102013 (800x450).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 487
that is so awesome when a car & its original owner are reunited great pics. my dad just bought his 67 gtx that he bought new in 67

Pa, do your best to leave those 2 old stickers on the windshield!! History of the car!!

Curt, why does it have a MO state inspection sticker on it? Was that car here for a while?
Tom

Tom,

South Dakota and Iowa stickers. Good conversation pieces!

Pa karp

I'll be following this thread closely. I just love A56 notch 'Cudas with any powerplant. You're a luck man to be able to get that car back in your garage!

Oh yah! I am anticipating getting it on the road again. Even the 'ex is going to share the front seat again, for a short time! lol.

Nah, she wants to drive it and I will let her do that. Not a problem!

Pa karp

Would it be possible for you to post a close up picture of the lower front fender? I am looking for the correct stripe and decal placement for my cuda, and since yours is original I know it will be correct.

-
Back