69 barracuda 340-s VS Formula-S

-

WARFARE

Reaction score
Hi guys, I apologize in advance for the Newbie questions. Just trying to figure out the real "mopar" world.

I am aware that the Barracuda was produced as the "Cuda" in 69 with the 340, 383 and 440, stripe package, blacked out grills and deck applique with a "Formula S" badge.

Are these "Cuda's" considered as the only Formula-S models?

My 69 has 340-S emblems on the front fender. Is this considered a "Formula-S" car as well, but just not having the "Cuda" option package?

Also, how would I find out more info on my car's uniqueness, if any? Such as how many were built like mine? eg. 340 Fastback, Decor interior, B5 Blue paint/interior, Torqflite, disc brakes etc.

Thanks for your help and thank you for your patience with my learning curve.

Patrick

Hi guys, I apologize in advance for the Newbie questions. Just trying to figure out the real "mopar" world.

I am aware that the Barracuda was produced as the "Cuda" in 69 with the 340, 383 and 440, stripe package, blacked out grills and deck applique with a "Formula S" badge.

Are these "Cuda's" considered as the only Formula-S models?

My 69 has 340-S emblems on the front fender. Is this considered a "Formula-S" car as well, but just not having the "Cuda" option package?

Also, how would I find out more info on my car's uniqueness, if any? Such as how many were built like mine? eg. 340 Fastback, Decor interior, B5 Blue paint/interior, Torqflite, disc brakes etc.

Thanks for your help and thank you for your patience with my learning curve.

Patrick

You can decode the vin# and the fender tag in engine compartment if still attached. I'm sure if you post a clear picture members here can do it for you. Or you could probably find a decoder on the web for your 1969 model Plymouth Barracuda and find out how your car came from the factory.

They are packages.

A Cuda, was one option package.

A Formula S, was an other option package.

In 69 a "Cuda" is not a Formula S just like a Formula S is not a Cuda.

Ok, I am getting it, I think.

But what is all the 340-S fender emblem stuff about? Just to signify the engine? Does the "S" not stand for Formula S? I am thinking the car is just a basic model optioned up with the 340, heavy suspension etc, but not a designated "Formula S" car. I guess the 67-68 badging and such have me confused.

I have both the Fender Tag and Broadcast sheet. I can find lots to help with the fender tag but nothing decoding the Sheet online. Is there anything to help decode the Broadcast sheet out there as the sheet does not have the A, B, C ....... codes on it as with the tag? Does it really make a difference in having it vs the fender tag?

You guys were a great help with my tag in a previous msg. I pulled it off the car, blasted it to see it better. It reads:

M31 V78 EN2
G11 G31 G33 J25 M21 M25
A62 A86 B41 B51 C16 C55
B5 B5 D6B B5 526 B40299
E55 D32 BH29 and VIN

Again, sorry for all the newb questions. I really appreciate your help.

Thank you

Pat

Here is what I got
:
Unknown
Unknown
Unknown
: Unknown
Unknown
Unknown
: Sequence number
E55: Exterior Color
D32: Trim - Luxury, Cloth/Vinyl Bench Seat, Unknown Color
BH29: Int. Door Frames
: Build Date:
: Order number
B5: Top Color
D6B: Top Color
526: Top Color
B40299: Top Color
A62: Rallye Instrument Cluster Package
A86: 69 only Interior Decor Group
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
B51: Power Brakes
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55: Bucket Seats
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
G31: OS RH Manual Standard Mirror
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
J25: 3 Speed Wipers
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
M31: Belt Moldings
V78: Accent Stripes, Deleted
EN2: End of Sales Codes

I got this info from this website http://www.jani-immonen.net/decoders/tag6974.html

Now not every 340 cuda in 69 was an "S" or a "Cuda" an "S" in 69 would show A53 on the fendertag and I believe "Cuda" pkg was A56. If your car has a "p" in the 5th digit of the vin it is a 340 car, but like I said that doesnt mean its an "S" or a "cuda". Still a nice car though!! Post the rest of the vin up for us to try and help

E55 - 340 4bbl
D32 - Tourqeflight
BH29 - Barracuda
B5 - Exterior Blue Fire Metallic
B5 - Exterior Blue Fire Metallic
D6B - Delux Interior Bright Blue (338)
B5 - Upper Door Frame Blue Fire Metallic
526 -Build date 5/26/69
B40299 - Sequence Number
A62 - Rallye Dash with trip odometer and wood grain
A86 - Interior Decor Deluxe Package Wood Grain Door and Quarter trim, Map Pouches, Carpeted Wheelhouse, Brite Pedal Trim, Armrests Rear
B41 - Front Disc Brakes
B51 - Power Brakes
C16 - Console with Buckets
C55 - Bucket Seats
M31 - Belt Moldings
V78 - Accent Stripe Delete
EN2 - End of Codes

your car is a 340 car, not a formula s or cuda package. the plain 340 cars came with the 340-s on the fender.
1230 autos made with just the 340
build sheet will tell all.
3 ways you could get the 340 in a 69 barracuda
pain- just the E55 340
A53formula-S package
A56 cuda package

I know it is confusing. Keep in mind that the only way you could get a 340 or 383 in 1968 was with the Formula S package. The 340 and the 318 were new motors for the Barracuda in 1968. In 1967, the Formula S got a 273 4-barrel or a 383 4-barrel. In 1969, the 340 became more of an independent option engine and didn't "need" the Formula-S package to be placed under the hood. It does get confusing with the emblems since the 67 and 68 got the round medallions on the fenders. The 1969 Formula-S Barracuda got a new-styled medallion (more black in it) located only on a flat-black painted tail panel. The base Barracuda (and the 'Cuda) had a textured silver tail panel with a fish instead of the medallion. That is why you see high prices on the '69-only Formula-S round emblem.

Then you have to watch out for clones. It is way too easy to add some options, emblems, a 340 and pretend you have a true Formula S. That is why you need to know how to read the vin and the fender tag.

My car is a 318 car. Even through I have dressed it as a Formula S, I purposely left the 318 fender tag in place and represent it as a "tribute car" so that all know it isn't an original Formula S. I never plan on getting rid of the car, so to me I just dressed it up as I wanted. It is the scam artists you have to watch out for.

Wow, thanks guys, you are awesome!!!

Yep, that makes more sense now. It is a E55 base car that has just been optioned up. Not a formula s but a great car nonethless. Especially since it's still all original and for the most part all complete.

Should I post a pic of the build sheet? It's in great shape other than two small holes.

I 100% confirmed it as a numbers matching car, checked the block and transmission serial numbers. At 41K miles I guess that makes it a decent find for around 3K. Gotta love little old lady cars.

Thanks again for all your help. You guys are the best.

Pat

Take some time and get a lot of decent photos of the car and post a few in the member photo gallery. I would love to see more of this car!

So you could get a 69 Barracuda 340 4 speed with no Formula S badges ,

Yes, as far as I know for 69 it had "340-s" on each fender and on the trunk trim panel(black inlay) it had the round "S" emblem very similar to what was used on 67-8 fenders.

So you could get a 69 Barracuda 340 4 speed with no Formula S badges ,

There weren't "badges" on the '69 model as in more than one badge. The '69 had one Formula S badge and that was on the trunk trim panel and it was unique to that year, different then the '67 and '68 "badges" that were on the fenders of the earlier cars.

Like said above, the standard Barracuda could be had with 340 engine option only. All the cases I have seen have the 340-S emblems on the front fenders and the chrome exhaust tips but were not Formula S or Cuda optioned cars. Not a lot of them around that is for sure but a couple have surfaced on this forum over the years.

Yes, mine is definetly a 340-S car, not a formula S. Standard rear trim piece on the trunk, grey grills and 340-S emblems on the front fenders.

I wonder how common they were in this configuration with B5 blue exterior and interior, disc brakes, PS, PB, automatic, Rallye Dash and Decor interior package in a fastback?

Pat

Contrary to what another member posted, and I could be wrong, but the 340-s emblems were designated for the formula "S" cars only. In my opinion why would they put an "S" after the 340 unless it was a formula "S" car?? The previous owner probably found some 340-s emblems and put them on it.....just my opinion

Back in 89/90 while shopping for a 340 A-body, I had the opportunity to check out one in Ft. Langley, BC. It was a white '69 340-S notchback with 4-spd and blue interior. It was offered by the original owner who had bought it new, trading in his 67 Barracuda. It was not a Formula S, did not have the medallion on the trunk finish panel, and did have the 340-S fender badges. It was pretty plainly optioned. From what he told me, he had custom ordered it, and was disappointed that the blue carpeting did not match with the blue interior.

Grant

Well, the 340-S emblems are totally original on mine, but no "Formula-S" emblem on the back so I think the notion that they were added by the previous owner is incorrect, being she bought it new and was an elderly lady. (Estate Auction)

I thought the 69 'Cuda' option was the 440?

The 'cuda option in 1969 was available with 340, 383 or 440. They "generally" were lower-optioned versions with respect to interiors (generally basic interior, no fold-down rear seat) and wheel covers (poverty caps). They had the little non-functional hood scoops and hood stripes, as well as the blackout along the bottom of the vehicle.

The Formula S was available in 340 & 383 models, and "usually" had deluxe interiors, wheel covers. More of an upscale version, but as a rule, all Barracudas were upscale compared to the majority of Dart models available at the time.

Grant

The 'cuda option in 1969 was available with 340, 383 or 440. They "generally" were lower-optioned versions with respect to interiors (generally basic interior, no fold-down rear seat) and wheel covers (poverty caps). They had the little non-functional hood scoops and hood stripes, as well as the blackout along the bottom of the vehicle.

The Formula S was available in 340 & 383 models, and "usually" had deluxe interiors, wheel covers. More of an upscale version, but as a rule, all Barracudas were upscale compared to the majority of Dart models available at the time.

Grant

My A 56 code Cuda is a 340 car and has a deluxe interior and fold down back seat. I did notice it does not have torque boxes. I had a A 53 Formula S Barracuda and it had torque boxes. Not sure of the rime or reason for cars having torque boxes, just an observation on another area of these cars.

Of course my could use the torque boxes with the motor i have in it since 1976:blob:

Attachments

• 69 Cuda 003.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 2,174
  • 69 cuda 3.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 2,037
-
Back