69 Barracuda Gas Cap Gasket Seal

-

PSUKev

Reaction score
In restoring my 69 Barracuda I reused my old gas cap which has an old, dried out, cracked rubber gasket to seal it against the fuel filler neck. Does anyone out there know of a place that sells a replacement gasket/seal? Or does anyone have a remedy to soften and restore (as best as possible) the original one. I think I'm getting a bad seal which is allowing the fuel to partially evaporate. I don't mind getting bad MPG's while I'm driving the car but I'd rather not lose fuel while it sits.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• IMAG0254.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 173
It doesn't look like there is any help for that gasket...it's all cracked. Have you checked at a parts store for a generic cap? Maybe you could pull the gasket out of one of those. What I don't know is if the original gasket is crimped onto the cap by that middle piece in your picture.

Some other threads say to take a trip through the plumbing isle of your favorite hardware store. I guess that's my next step.

To answer your question, yes I believe the gasket is sandwiched in behind the center cap.

Hows the chrome?
The repops of those are fine.
Mine is very nice i would sell it too you if you want to cut the cost down and i will pick up a new one for double the price i would sell you mine for. mine is a 8,9 out of a 10
$50 bucks?

In restoring my 69 Barracuda I reused my old gas cap which has an old, dried out, cracked rubber gasket to seal it against the fuel filler neck. Does anyone out there know of a place that sells a replacement gasket/seal? Or does anyone have a remedy to soften and restore (as best as possible) the original one. I think I'm getting a bad seal which is allowing the fuel to partially evaporate. I don't mind getting bad MPG's while I'm driving the car but I'd rather not lose fuel while it sits.

Thanks everyone.

I got one of those repops spring broke in a week. Now it's a 90$ paper weight. But anyway in the new one the whole inner seal and spring piece unscrew so would think that the original one would also. My .02...

return it!
The new ones are fine you must have gotton a bad one.

I got one of those repops spring broke in a week. Now it's a 90$ paper weight. But anyway in the new one the whole inner seal and spring piece unscrew so would think that the original one would also. My .02...

Hows the chrome?
The repops of those are fine.
Mine is very nice i would sell it too you if you want to cut the cost down and i will pick up a new one for double the price i would sell you mine for. mine is a 8,9 out of a 10
$50 bucks?

The chrome is fine, which I painted black anyhow along with all my other chrome. I'm not in the market for another one (I already have one spare that I'd like to get rid of).

Looks like a hardware gasket and some adhesive will do the trick.

-
Back