69 barracuda question on paint scheme

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
On a 69 barracuda is the radiator support supposed to be painted body color behind the front grill or is it supposed to be painted black? I'm in the process of taking apart my 69 vert and i noticed that behind the grill it was painted black and wanted to know if that is the way it came from the factory.

Pat Faley
67 NB 69 Rag top
Peoria IL

Pat, I think the front leading part of the rad support gets painted body color, then on the line it gets black kinda slopped on over top, I could be wrong though...

This one comes up often. It seems that it was normal to find the both ways. Some say it was dependant on the color, or the ability to see through the grille, or whether the plant was doing it at the time, or the guy who had that crappy job was sick that day lol..

If it had it, I'd redo it. As 4spd said, it was not done pretty, and some say it was done by a guy in a pit spraying upwards.

Grant

I noticed it when I took the front nose piece off to get to the grills and you are right it looks like someone painted it on with a brush. I even found a drip on the lower front valance piece. The car has been painted before but i don't think they touched that front area. That is why I wanted to know if it is supposed to be that way.

Pat Faley
67 NB S Clone
69 vert project
Peoria IL

What (little) I know about this is that they were painted body color and were supposed to be painted black after that. I understand it was done from below the car in a pit and the guy doing it used old fashioned enamel in a pressure sprayer (think bug sprayer or weed sprayer that you punp up by hand). Sometimes it didn't get painted because if there was a person gone and they needed to fill iin on the assembly line guess who left their station! I talked to a guy who claimed he had that nasty job back in the day but soon graduated to one where he didn't get covered in paint by end of shift.

That's a good question.
I'm not sure what ma mopar did but believe it was body color. On my 67 cuda I painted mine black so the grill would show more than having the body color showing behind the grill. My car is sublime green which is a bright color and more than likely it would be seen very easily through the grill. I didn't want that. If ones car is going to be a dark color then it wouldn't show as much. So I guess another words its really up to you. If it is going to be a concours matching car then you might need to do some research.

The previous '67 Barracuda FB I owned, the rad support behind the grills was painted body color (W1 white). On my current '67 Barracuda FB (W1 white), it is painted black. This car also has A/C. I always wondered if that is why it was painted black, because of the A/C condenser?

This is correct. The black was painted from the pit. Only the darker colored cars were not done. Not everything goes as planed. I have seen the darker colors both ways not painted and painted.

Like said, it was done so light colored bodies didn't show thru the grills. ( I HATE seeing restored cars showing light body color behind the grills). Body colors like black and darker blue(B7) don't get the black out treatment.........I'll try, but no guarantees, to take some pics in the garage of my 21k mile survivor MODTOP in sunfire yellow(Y2) to show you the black out..........hopefully i can find this post again!

-
Back