69 cuda grill fix

-

iw378

Reaction score
I recently scored a great set if grilles complete. There are a couple of small cracks in the plastic surrounds. What would be the best thing to fill them with so I can sand them down and repaint. Some sort of epoxy ?
Thought I saw a thread on this but I cannot find it now.
Thanks.
Luke

look at MOMOPARMAN thread

Pams Jamaica Blue Baby.....

I used PC-7 epoxy, it is dark gray and when sanded is almost the same color as the original plastic. It is also strong and can be drilled/tapped...whatever.

Randy

One down one to go. Yesterday I got busy on the passenger side grille. Since the chrome was still good I did not separate the outer chrome from the plastic surround. I did not want to grind the pot metal stakes off to separate them. As far as the cracks go I drilled
an 1/8th inch hole at the end of them so they would not grow. Then I cleaned the crack with some acetone and got rid of the old argent paint around it. Pulled out the soldering iron and put a spade tip on it and got to melting the plastic back together. I then used some jb weld ( the black stuff ) to fill the groove both front and back from the iron.
When I do the other one I'll take some good pics of the process.
IMG_0495_zpsf16987e4.jpg

Black looks better.
IMG_0494_zps01ca0433.jpg

Cool...

Don't let the dog eat your homework though....

LOL ! My 14 year beagle is my helper and shop buddy. He just wanted to smell what I was working on all day.

Looks goodLuke.I see your getting todo some work on your car.

Got the other one done today. On the cracks I drilled a hole so they would not grow then melted the crack back together from both sides. to make sure it was melted all the way through. After melting.
IMG_0039_zps5245fa45.jpg
Then used jb weld to fill the groos made by the iron tip and sanded smooth.
Rebuilt my turn signals today too.
IMG_0041_zpseb068d81.jpg

Nice work they look great !!

Thanks guys. Hey John if you ever get some ragged ones send 'em my way. I'll doll 'em up for ya.
Luke

Yeah the black 2 part for metal is what you want.How bad are your grilles ?

Been a while since I looked at them, but there's quite a few cracks. Not sure if pieces are missing. I have a line on another set as well that Im going to invest in instead.

-
Back