69 Cuda Hood Scoops ~ Functional or Not?

-

69KillerFish

Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea for quite a while about adding the hood scoops that were designed for 69. The scoops were positioned at the back end of 2 very wide Black stripes for the hood that started at the nose and ended just for the cowl. I already have the hood stripes applied. My question is, were they ever available as functional at some point? I want to make the scoops functional. I know that the pot metal scoops are hollow underneath. Is it as simple as removing and or cutting the "Grill" at the front of the scoops? Are there any difficulties I will run into when cutting the hood for the air intake through the hood? Does anybody know if anyone has ever tried this alteration? Any advice or comments is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Thom

Attachments

• Hood Scoops.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 312
Aerodynamically they are too far back from the front of the car to see any positive air pressure. That's why the cowl induction scoops are backwards. They would let heat out of the engine compartment at idle if not ducted to the intake. Take a look at the substructure of your hood before doing any cutting.

Aerodynamically they are too far back from the front of the car to see any positive air pressure. That's why the cowl induction scoops are backwards. They would let heat out of the engine compartment at idle if not ducted to the intake. Take a look at the substructure of your hood before doing any cutting.

if I were going to add scoops, or a scoop to a 69 barracuda, it wouldn`t be those for sure. they ain`t very attractive, and are worthless.-jmo

they were just decorative and never functional from the factory. Not sure I would cutup a factory set either.
However, If you do decide to go that way I do know where a set that are already cut are.

I have been toying with the idea for quite a while about adding the hood scoops that were designed for 69. The scoops were positioned at the back end of 2 very wide Black stripes for the hood that started at the nose and ended just for the cowl. I already have the hood stripes applied. My question is, were they ever available as functional at some point? I want to make the scoops functional. I know that the pot metal scoops are hollow underneath. Is it as simple as removing and or cutting the "Grill" at the front of the scoops? Are there any difficulties I will run into when cutting the hood for the air intake through the hood? Does anybody know if anyone has ever tried this alteration? Any advice or comments is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Thom

69 killer fish...

nice pic of the 69 scoop ... i posted that pic on another thread here about 6 months ago. glad you were able to use the pic for reference.

if you want to use the 69 "Cuda package" scoop you can cut out the front of the scoop fairly easily. however, if you are going to cut up a set of these scoops, PLEASE DO NOT USE AN OEM PAIR with the original chrysler pentastar emblem and part number on the back!! original 69 scoops are getting harder to find and a good original pair with the four attaching bolts on them are worth at least $400. so "cutting up" a pair of OEM scoops is a VERY bad idea....

you can buy repoduction versions of these scoops from classic industries, tony's parts and i think year one. they are around $250.00 as to cutting holes in your hood, the structural cross bar might be in the way. if you wanted to do a "ram air" type of arrangement, you could probably use a 70-71 340 "double snorkel" air cleaner mounted backwards and attach some kind of flexible duct - although i don't know about the under hood clearance with the hood shut.

as cuda69 noted, you will not get much "ram air" effect with these scoops back as far as they are but you could modify them to provide more air to the carb than with just a solid hood.

good luck..

I have a set that are cut up 175.00 shipped

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 262
Thanks to all for the great advice about this. I am still interested in adding functional scoops. I am going to look at the spacing and clearances. If I do it, I promise not to cut up oem parts.

Plymouth actually mentioned making these scoops functional by using a bit of Auntie's vacuum cleaner hose!!!!!!!!!

I took pics of this in the catalog, will post soon!!

Plymouth actually mentioned making these scoops functional by using a bit of Auntie's vacuum cleaner hose!!!!!!!!!

I took pics of this in the catalog, will post soon!!

I was hoping for that. Thanks for your response. Please keep me posted on your progress. I would love to see the pics !!! :D

Sorry, there's no pics of how to do it. I'm just posting pics of what it says. Was likely more of joke, but must be able to be done somehow.

-
Back