69 Dart 340 Swinger Trunk Vin

-

CL3406

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a numbers matching 69 340 Dart...Engine, Trans, & Rad support match but I can't really make out the trunk vin under the paint. What I can make out does not look like it matches the vin# There are 6 numbers (3 then a space then another 3). Is this correct? Someone told me 69 should have 8 digits? What are the possible reasons the back wouldn't match? Rear quarter replaced? The engine, trans & rad support from another car maybe?

The broadcast sheet & original bill of sale from 69 match the engine, trans & rad....Should I be concerned about the rear vin not matching??

Thanks for your thoughts...

Try reading the VIN from underneath the trunk lip instead of the top...

Yes I have thought of that thanks. I don't think the number will match the vin regardless but I will check. How is the value affected if the trunk vin is not matching?
Anyone out there have an idea?

Thanks

It should match the VIN for 69 unless the trunk lip was replaced?
As you know from the Radiator support you will likely see the 6 digit sequence number.

AlV

If you're buying it as a numbers matching car, and intend to sell it some day as same, the future buyer will have the same reservations. Is this a fresh resto? Could be a rebody. I know on my Swinger, those numbers matched.

I hear ya...I am a little nervous! Yes it is a fresh rotisserie rebuild, nice car but I want a numbers matching. He is firm on $28000 cdn. Seems reasonable if it was a numbers matching. Sound about right to you? I think that is about 20K US.

Yes I have lots of photos. There is no doubt it was on a rotisserie but there are no pictures of any panels being changed. Obviosly something was done on the back end at some point.

Here is the link; http://www.cars-on-line.com/80862.html

Too bad you don't live closer. Mine is just finished, and is numbers matching. But you should pass on that car. Nice as it is, it's still not what you want.

there is a reason they put two hidden vins on the cars on different ends. The q-panel could have been replaced. does the core support look like it's been replaced? Th digit discrepancy could be the q-pnl is from a 67-8 car which used so number not vin.

climb in the trunk with a light and take a good look .
you should be able to tell if the metal is original.

No insult intended. Do you know what you are looking for? Suggest finding a third party with a numbers matching car and see if the same anomaly exists. Better yet, have them show you why theirs is a numbers matching car. IIRC, if a fresh replacement panel is used there will be no VIN stamped into it. See if the number that exists is a part number if not a VIN or SO#.

Bottom line: If $28K CDN buys a numbers matching car and that's what you want, pass on this car until you can be certain it is as represented by the seller. If still would like to buy the car, use this as a point for negotiating a better price.

Here's a link to a decent guide. http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1969/Dodge/Dart-Swinger/2-Door-Hardtop-340 I find their prices are about 20% higher than prices in my area. But it's a decent benchmark. $28K CDN = $21.2K US at today's rate.

Thanks for all the info...I had the car inspected as I live a long distance away. The panel had been replaced & the rest of car was not put together properly. A lot wrong with the car so no way I bought it. Still looking...Thanks again for all your input.

-
Back