69 dart disk brake swap

-

jrosey

Reaction score
20yrs ago I got my 69 dart I got what I believe is disk brakes off a 76 volare or similar they are a single piston caliper. I'm tryn to get it going after all these yrs. Bought a disk brake master 20 yrs ago it's been dry the whole time. have my brass drum drum distribution block. all new calipers rear wheel cylinders lines rubber hoses and pads have bled every thing and still have no pedal the rears barely move after pumping a couple times. Fluid squirts out good from all bleeders front and rear. Even with the drum distribution block shouldn't I get some brakes? This is my master cylinder

20180927_231233.jpg

Just a thought, is the front section, for the front disc, connected to the rear drums?

The front fluid chamber is always connected to the rear brakes. The rear fluid chamber is always connected to the front brakes. Bigger chamber for the bigger brakes. Plus if you look at the stock lines/fittings, that's the only way it can be assembled.

Since the MC sat for so many years, the seals maybe hard or taken a set, they may not be building pressure up.

Everything points to the "new" MC. I'd start by removing it and disassembling. Easy to do by removing the snap ring on the back. If the pistons stick, use air in the outlet ports to blow them out. First the large chamber then the smaller chamber in the front. The pistons are separate pieces. Inspect the bores and seals. You can hone the bore with one of those 3 stone tools if needed.
But....unfortunately, rebuild kits are not much less money than a complete rebuilt MC. Get a 73-76 power brake MC but run it manually. (15/16") You should also check the length of the pushrod. Mancini racing and others have adjustabies for about $30.

You need the disc prop valve too. The drum one is ok for 4 wheel disc or drums but not a disc drum combo

I was thinking master cylinder to they are only $30 but figured even with the drum distribution block I should still have pedal right? And can I just get a adjustable portioning valve to put on rear line?

I was thinking master cylinder to they are only $30 but figured even with the drum distribution block I should still have pedal right? And can I just get a adjustable portioning valve to put on rear line?
Yes, that's probably better, and actually easier, than replacing the original dist block.

-
Back