69 Dart Grille Install

-

LIME TWIST DART

Reaction score
I'm looking for some pictures of the attachment points for a grille on 69 Darts.
Mine was not on the car when I bought it. All the brackets seem to be there. When the top 2 fasteners are in place, the lower brackets don't reach back far enough. Doesn't reach the hood latch support. Am I missing parts? Do I need a kit like this one on ebay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400470720370?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Is there a thread about installing a 69 Grille? Any help appreciated.
Thanks

There are 4 screws to secure the top of the grill, 2 mount to the left and right of the hood latch support and 2 mount to the supports above the headlights. There should be 4 lower brackets that mount to the rad support. The 2 inner mounts have extension brackets about 2" long that secure to the rad support, left and right of the rad. Maybe you are missing these 2 extension brackets.

The e-bay kit you posted is the entire hardware kit to mount the grill and headlight surrounds. Has nothing to do w/your issue.

Here is a pic I found. There are 5 mounting tabs. The extensions I mentioned are circled in red. Looks like one is missing in the pic. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 69dartgrille003.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 115
Here is a pic I found. There are 5 mounting tabs. The extensions I mentioned are circled in red. Looks like one is missing in the pic. Hope this helps.

I appreciate the help. Unfortunately it looks like I have a more complicated situation on my hands.
As you can see in picture 1, the extension brackets are there. I have discovered that when the 2 upper outside fasteners are in place, picture 2, the lower outside brackets make contact with the mounting surface. However, the 2 upper middle mounting locations, next to hood latch, and the middle three lower brackets are 1-/4" short of making contact.
Ultimately the entire grille needs to move back towards the engine compartment 1-1/4". This is confirmed by attaching the headlight bezels to the grille and observing they are also 1-1/4" short of making contact with the fenders.

So, it seems that the vertical and horizontal supports/plates,(sorry, I don't know what they are called,) located at the corner where the fender, headlight bucket and radiator support come together, sit forward 1-1/4" to far. Picture 3.

Here is the other piece of important info. The car was already painted when I bought it. It is, verified, a 69 Dart. The side markers, front and rear, have been deleted. If instead of filling the marker locations of the original fenders, they swapped fenders and the area that supports the headlight with, lets say a 67, could this be my problem?

I thought fenders for 67, 68, and 69 were interchangeable. Yet, without some modifications to mounts, the grilles were not. Wouldn't the difference then be the mounts right above and below the headlights? This is the only explanation I can come up with.

Pulling what's left of my hair out on this one.LOL

Attachments

• 2013-05-17_16-18-47_108.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 2013-05-16_15-46-33_821.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 2013-05-17_16-11-48_249.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 96
mock that thing up-- with the headlight bezels-- take some photos & then suggestions will come rolling in.

I have a 69 also & my grille does not match up perfectly-- long story short-- these items should have been mocked up & aligned before paint-- after paint it is a crap shoot,(if body parts have changed) Lawrence

-
Back