69 dart gt auto rebuild kit question

-

mikeyt2014

Reaction score
I'm getting a 69 Dart gt-auto with a 273. I'm goin to have the trans rebuilt since it's been sitting in a garage for the last 25 yrs. I want to know what's a good kit to use. Of course I'm going to get a master kit with a shift kit in it and coverter. What do you reccomend?

Any brand of kit for your model of transmission will work. No matter what the brand name on the packaging the parts inside the kit come from only a couple of manufacteurs.
OEM friction plates are Raybestos plates. Gasket sets typically from only a couple of companies.
Don't get caught up in B & M etc. These companies just repackage stock stuff. You often end up paying more only for the name.
Do a complete rebuild: ie frictions, steels, bushings, both bands, washers, filter etc.
Converter wise, unless you have increased the horsepower and torque, a stock converter will suit you just fine for a street vehicle.
Now, if you're going racing there are a ton of other options for you.

I will be buying a master kit with everything inclusive, bands, steel, etc. and a stock converter. I've just called Summit and Jegs and they recommended some of what I thought to be high priced kits, about $299 plus $175 for a converter and I know I can buy one for about $199 and $125 for a convertor. I just didn't know if kevlar bands are that much better. I can go to Transtar, which is a trans suply warehouse and get all this stuff locally.

Yup, go to Transtar and get all you need for your requirements.
As far as the Kevlar bands go, there are a couple of different opinions on them. One transmission builder I knew said Kevlar was great for stopping bullets, but had some doubts about Kevlar backing for bands. I know the Company I used to work for carried both normal and Kevlar bands, with most of the Kevlar lined bands were sold to either the race crowd or the diesel crowd.
I personally think that for your transmission and what you're using the car for, an all stock transmission with a shift kit in it will be all you need.

Have fun.

I'd recommend the Transg0 TF-2 shift kit and as was said before, I'd buy the kit locally. I bought a master kit and that shift kit locally for 300$ out the door. (including both bands). shift kit local was 99$, I could have saved 25$ if I bought it from Summit but, I wanted it that day.

-
Back