69 dart header problems

-

moprbob

Reaction score
I have a 69 dart, 408 stroker [ 360 la block with magnum heads] 6 cyl k member,and power steering.I ordered a set of hookers #5901 from summit and the left side will not fit period. We jacked the engine up and had to remove the power steering just to get the header in place and start 2 bolts. We replaced the ps and it was obvious that the ps bolts would not go back in.We let the engine down and one of the header tubes hit the top of ps box.The engine still likes 1" from the mount. The motor mounts are adapter mounts 6cyl to sb from summit.I have talked to summit and hooker techs and all they say is they are supposed to fit. Does anyone know of A set that will fit?

I have Hedmans on my 64 Sport Fury. They needed a couple minor dings, but otherwise fit well, and I have power steering. I have heard a lot of bad input about Hookers.

I have big tube hookers on my 69 340 dart and they are tight on the ps side but they do fit with out hitting anything.

I'd say it must be caused by the motor mounts

Not to sound stupid but you did take the drag link apart and put it thru the headers , just fishing for an answer not saying anything else ?

I would bet Doug's and ttis wouldn't change anything. Does the motor mount have any adjustment? Sounds like the motor is not in the factory location and anybody's header isn't going to fit.

sorry for not replying earlier. Yes,all the steering linkage was removed & the engine,motor mounts & headers were ordered at the same time from summit after talking with one of their techs.

I beg to differ.

there are a ton of threads on here about dougs and tti fitment problems and it always comes down to the same thing, motor placement. Funny thing is the $100 headers just must suck because it couldn't possibly be motor placement when they have trouble fitting.

there are a ton of threads on here about dougs and tti fitment problems and it always comes down to the same thing, motor placement. Funny thing is the $100 headers just must suck because it couldn't possibly be motor placement when they have trouble fitting.

But there are plenty of threads that indicate that they fit w/no mods. I had a set of cheap hookers on my Dart initially. Had to ding the heck out of them to get them in. I sawsall'd them off and installed TTI's. I did nothing to reposition the motor and they slid right in, no shims. no mods at all.

But there are plenty of threads that indicate that they fit w/no mods. I had a set of cheap hookers on my Dart initially. Had to ding the heck out of them to get them in. I sawsall'd them off and installed TTI's. I did nothing to reposition the motor and they slid right in, no shims. no mods at all.

You would have had to jack up the motor off the mounts and it would be repositioned when doing so:hello2:

I put my headers on with the mounts off the car and after getting the headers on installed the mounts, just a thought still trying to help:hello2:

You would have had to jack up the motor off the mounts and it would be repositioned when doing so:hello2:

Biscuit mounts would need to be repositioned, not spool mounts. I have the spool mounts and didn't have to lift the motor.

-
Back