69 Dart side markers

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
OK I just got my front side bezel and lenses, you may remember some time ago i wanted to light all for side lenses that our 69 Darts did not come with,with the help from 70DartMike who sold me the parts to do the mock up,as you can see i have drilled the hole, now i need a pig tale and peanut bulb ,recess the the bulb a little and bench test it for 2 hours and see if it melts the lenses if not it is going into production lol.I will post pics as to what happens,thanks 70DartMike.PS you may ask WHY well I like the 1 off thing when was the last time you saw a 69 Dart with its side markers lit up.:D

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 002.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 215
Put LEDs in them. Last forever, don't get hot, and draw almost no current.

You're not going to melt anything, even with a regular bulb in there. They were made to be lit up, but since the law did not require it at that time, Mopar chose to leave the bulbs/wiring out for the '69 mode year.

Put LEDs in them. Last forever, don't get hot, and draw almost no current.

You're not going to melt anything, even with a regular bulb in there. They were made to be lit up, but since the law did not require it at that time, Mopar chose to leave the bulbs/wiring out for the '69 mode year.

Thanks for the tip on the melt thing,but the LEDS take a different wiring set up or do they,any help would help.:D

Wiring would be exactly the same, but since LEDS are diodes they would have to have the positive and negative connected to the right wires to work.
(unlike a regular light the pos and neg can't be switched and still light the bulb)

Just so you know, all of my tail, brake, turn and marker lights are LED and I have modded my brake and turn lights so I have four brakelights instead of the factory two.
Since the lenses on my car are the same style for the tail/brake/turns and backups I replaced the backup lenses with two more tail/brake/turns and added those into the brake/turn circuit so I have twice as many brake/turn lights but still only the two outside lenses for tail lights (like factory but LED's)

The point in telling you all that is even though I have twice as many braklights they only draw .480 ma (less than 1/2 amp) with all four brakelights on.
Four normal brakelight bulbs would have a draw of 8.8 amps so it freed up about 8.3 amps for turn signals, wipers, heater blower, headlights, stereo and so on.
It made a pretty big difference in available power at stops with the brakes on. (one of the places these old girls lacked sufficient amps)
This is why the signals, wipers, heater blower, and headlights slowed or dimmed at a stop with low RPM and the brakes held.
Or why the headlights dimmed when you hit the brakes. (which my car does'nt do anymore. :)

Wiring would be exactly the same, but since LEDS are diodes they would have to have the positive and negative connected to the right wires to work.
(unlike a regular light the pos and neg can't be switched and still light the bulb)

Just so you know, all of my tail, brake, turn and marker lights are LED and I have modded my brake and turn lights so I have four brakelights instead of the factory two.
Since the lenses on my car are the same style for the tail/brake/turns and backups I replaced the backup lenses with two more tail/brake/turns and added those into the brake/turn circuit so I have twice as many brake/turn lights but still only the two outside lenses for tail lights (like factory but LED's)

The point in telling you all that is even though I have twice as many braklights they only draw .480 ma (less than 1/2 amp) with all four brakelights on.
Four normal brakelight bulbs would have a draw of 8.8 amps so it freed up about 8.3 amps for turn signals, wipers, heater blower, headlights, stereo and so on.
It made a pretty big difference in available power at stops with the brakes on. (one of the places these old girls lacked sufficient amps)
This is why the signals, wipers, heater blower, and headlights slowed or dimmed at a stop with low RPM and the brakes held.
Or why the headlights dimmed when you hit the brakes. (which my car does'nt do anymore. :)
Thanks for the tip,and your right about how much draw there is when my foot is on the brake, i have had tons of people saying your lights are DIM.

Thanks for the tip,and your right about how much draw there is when my foot is on the brake, i have had tons of people saying your lights are DIM.

Yea, at idle we can use all the available amps we can get.
In not to long here I'm going to do the headlights relays conversion to help that even more.

Yea, at idle we can use all the available amps we can get.
In not to long here I'm going to do the headlights relays conversion to help that even more.

Well you sound like you know what your doing when it comes to the wire thing most of the time i am LOST.

-
Back