69 Dart Sunvisors

-

69GT

Reaction score
I was attempting to reinstall the sunvisors in my 69 Dart today that I took out of the car 10 years ago. I don't know what's going on but they don't fit right where they clip into the rear view mirror pedestal. The driver side is too long and won't go in the slot in the pedestal and the passenger side goes in but barely. Logic would be that I have them reversed but the swivel plates only go on one way and I have them on the correct sides. The part numbers on the swivel plates also tell me I have them on the correct sides. I was pretty sure these were the original visors I took out of the car but now I'm wondering if somehow they got mixed up with some other visors I've had over the years. So, if someone could please post a picture of an original 69 Dart visor so I can try and determine by shape if I am using the right visors I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

IIRC the visors can slide in and out on the rods and the tip rods can too.

They are not designed to slide in and out like modern cars so it's more like a one and done thing.

I would swivel and pull the short one easily don't want to pull it all the way out.

Maybe wait for others to reply to be sure my old memory is correct.

Hope this helps, left side one.

sunvisor.jpg

sunvisor2.jpg

sunvisor3.jpg

Hope this helps, left side one.

Thanks for the pics. That looks the same as the driver visor I have and measures the same. I am baffled as to why I am having a problem with them fitting into the rearview mirror pedestal.

Both of my visors measure the same length but the rod on the driver side is a little longer than the passenger side.

With the little plastic push-on tip on the end of the rod, the length both measure 19.5" to the center of the rod.

I was just out in the garage again trying to figure out what the deal is but I still don't know. I confirmed the visors are the ones that were original to the car as well as the rear view mirror. Being nothing has changed with the visors it's almost as if the mirror is a quarter of an inch too far far left. Are there more than one set of holes for the rear view mirror? I couldn't see them because the headliner is already installed so I had to feel around for them, but the holes I found match the pattern of the mirror holes and the screws thread in as they should.

I wish I could help more, but I had a new headliner installed in my Dart and I have yet tried to mount the mirror & have not looked to see if the place that installed the headliner poked any holes for the mirror.

Doesn't look like there are any other holes it could go into, unless some were drilled at some point for some reason.

Screenshot_20220921-213139~3.png

Thanks for the pic. That's exactly how the holes are configured that I screwed the visor and mirror screws into. Going back out in the garage again soon to try and figure out what the deal is.

Still haven't figured out what the deal is. The driver side visor rod is just too long to clip into the mirror base. As I said, they are the original visors and mirror. I have felt around in the headliner for other mounting screw holes for both the mirrors and the visors and I don't feel any. I just don't understand what's going on. Are the rods one long piece or two pieces that come together inside the visor that could possibly have come apart making the rod appear to be longer? I've never pulled the rods out of them so I don't know.

-
Back